How long will plaster keep??

Hi, I bought two bags of skimming the other week, which I will not be able to use until after Xmas now. One has a date of 17/12/2005 and the other is 10/01/2006. They have both been kept in the house and kept dry and warm. How long over the use by date will they be ok.Thanks

Reply to
Cyberdog

Seal them airtight in a couple of bin bags and they last for yonks. Like years.

Cement too - but I wouldn't use it for anything structural after its best before date.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

Yes, this is true, but only in the sense that it doesn't go into a lump. What I find happens is that the plaster goes off more quickly the older it is.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Hi, Yes, I agree with you, I have seen this happen. However I am probably only talking about a couple of weeks over the use by date. Would this reduce the setting time that much ??

Reply to
Cyberdog

The setting time will reduce over quite a long time if kept dry. I prefer instant set finishing for small plasterwork, you can work small and fast with no waiting for results. You can always slow the set down by a minute trace of soap in the mix water.

Reply to
EricP

Thanks for that info.

Reply to