How do I get a washing machine into a tight space?

My washing machine is 2cm shorter than the bottom of the worktop that I have to get it under and there is no room at the left or right side (there will be about gap 1/2 cm left and right when I eventually get it in). What I need is something like those rollers that you can fit to the appliance and let you slide it in to place. The problem is the smallest (in height) that I have found is about 4cm high. Can anyone suggest another method, or a very small (less than 2cm height) roller system please?

Reply to
clangers_snout

I'm interested in how others do this, too.

For me, I just cut a piece of aluminium sheet the size of the hole and nailed it down in there. Then applied a good squeeze of washing up liquid onto the sheet where the legs of the machine would have to run. Then got it partially into the hole with the back feet on the sheet. Then I laid myself down on the floor, lined up with the thing, applied steady pressure with my feet and in it slid - just by pushing it with my feet.

Once the washing up liquid started to dry out, it made the washing machine legs stick to the sheet. So the machine doesn't wander side to side or front to back.

Getting it back out again is going to be far more interesting..

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

I found laying on my back and using my feet was the easiest way too - be careful if you have a lino floor covering or similar as it will ruck the surface. You could lay a piece of melamime covered chipboard first to make it easier to slide and it would be hidden afterwards. Getting the thing out wasn't too hard for mine, I just put my fingertips under the front edge and pulled a bit at a time - fine as long as there is enough room for your pinkies. Franko.

Reply to
Franko

I agree with the feet trick, but be careful when pushing with the feet as it is easy to dent the metalwork, it is best to push near the outer edges, working left, then right, but only about 1 inch at a time. To remove the machine, I find it easiest to open the porthole door, then gripping with one hand at the top of the opening, lift and drag the machine at the same time.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Just got my washing machine delivered this morning I cant get it into the space, it's quite tight but it's smaller than my last machine .I have a tiled floor and a galley kitchen not alot of space to maneuver any tips please

Reply to
garyfalconer1

Remove doors from cupboards?

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Do you have any height above the machine?

You may find it's easier if you make some "skates" or "skis" for it - a couple of strips of hardboard under each side. You can buy some that would work better

Wax the floor to make it slippery may also help, or use some diluted washing up liquid.

Also "walking" it in - rocking it from side to side - can help.

If you sit on the floor in front of it and push the bottom with your feet - put them on the bottom corners not the middle - you can get a lot more force. But be careful because if you push the wrong bit you may bend it.

A tiled floor ought to be easy. It's not like vinyl that tends to ruck up.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I bought mine and paid for fitting. The space is very tight and once a few years ago I had a leak, so my son in law pulled it out and then tried to push it back in, he really struggled wiggling it and pushing despite help from others. so the washing machine man came, fitted the pipes and in less than two secs had it in place with no sweating. He seemed to lift it a fraction and push at the same time with his arm inside the drum. There is probably a knack.

Reply to
Mrs Bonk

Thank you palindrome it worked!

Reply to