How do I do this?

I got a new toy for xmas and have been having a go at it today. Its a Biscuit Joiner and I seem to be missing the way it should cut the joint slots in relation to height of the workpiece?

Lets supposing I took a piece of wood with an 1/2" depth an used the BJ to do a cut this would be practically spot on in the center but if I take a piece of wood about 3/4" depth this would mean I would have to adjust height adjustment so that the cutter is spot on in the center of the wood and would mean the BJ base(shoe) is hovering above the flat worksurface and I would find this a wobbly(unbalanced) situation. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks ever so much. John.

Reply to
John

You don't metion the make and model. It will have a depth adjustment, either presets for different woood thicknesses or continuously adjustable, like this:

Is the adjustable fence missing altogether? As, apparently, are the operating instructions...

You should very definately not operate the thing hovering clear of the work surface. Like any router (especially with a large-ish cutter), it must be kept under very firm control at all times - if given any freedom it will pull itself into timber (or flesh and bone) and chew out large chunks in a blink of an eye..

I suggest that you post make and model - or links to close-up photographs of the front area of the one you have.

Reply to
Palindr☻me