House rewire

good morning

i am about to undertake rewiring my 1930's edwardian semi as i am on a very limited budget. i intend to contract an appropriately qualified electrician to make cu connections, testing and sign off.

it is some years since i did my last rewire and so i am looking for some guidance on cable specification, methods of chasing / protecting cables in walls, fixing through stud walls / floor joists etc.

i intend to have several circuits:

kitchen ring cooker ground floor sockets ring first floor sockets ring attic sockets ring freezer / alarm circuit ground floor lights first floor lights attic lights bathroom heat matt circuit (3 locations) electric shower outdoor garage / workshop ring

am i right in thinking normal sockets is 2.5mm twin and earth? lighting is 1.5mm twin and earth?

and what capping do i need to cover cables chased in the wall - i think it's metal and does it have to be 50mm deep?

any help will be gratefully received.

many thanks.

Reply to
dptenancy

You need to find a suitable electrician before you start and agree on the standards they expect from you. Otherwise, you risk getting to the end and finding no one will connect up and sign off your work.

Yes, although environment factors and length of cable can change these requirements. Domestic lighting circuits can usually be done in 1mm.

You don't need any capping (although I do usually use it, or oval trunking) and it is not normally 50mm deep as that would seriously weaken many walls, but you will need RCD protection on all circuits buried in walls.

You should buy a wiring book based on the current wiring regs, and also the IET On-site guide (again, make sure it's to current regs). Latest changes require the use of a metal cased consumer unit which can contain a fire breaking out inside it.

This newsgroup is dead. Try uk.d-i-y instead.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Apart fom cables buried 50mm deep!

Indeed

Reply to
ARW

It's dead, but we lurk here among the undead ...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz