house circa 1910 air vent

Hi

the circular air vent in the toilet has been painted over many times and will not open. (we have a small window for ventilation) but before we re decorate would like to get the vent to work.

any idea what it is made of? the spots look like rust

it has 2 loops which look like metal so i assume the vent is also metal.

and what to use to get it working again.

i have posted a photo here

Mark

Reply to
Mark D. Smith

If it's an original feature it is probably cast iron. Several applications of paint stripper should do the trick. Can you remove it and apply paint stripper with it in a horizontal position?

Reply to
Codswallop

Hi

not easy to remove as its embedded in the wall. It is original as we have another in the bathroom which works.

will try paint stripper with a drip tray.

Mark

Reply to
Mark D. Smith

Or a hot air gun to get the worst off!

It wouldn't be the end of the world to take it off, clean it in a suitable container of stripper, make good the wall, and re fix it? If the ventilator is cast iron you can then even take a blow lamp to it.

Reply to
John

Hi

we did the first in place hard work but now it works great. bathroom vent came out and same treatment with paint stripper but much less time.

Mark

Reply to
Mark D. Smith