Hot water Temp

Hi,

We have an oil fired boiler which feeds a hot water tank. What is the best temp for the hot water? It was set at 49 oC but that seems quite high. We have set it to 45 oC. Is that ok?

Thanks

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

If it suits you, then it's OK.

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

i believe above 55 degrees C is recomended to ensure legonella is killed off,

i know when i fitted the diesel fired central heating and hot water system into my motorhome, the calorifier (small hot water cylinder with 2 heating coils, one for engine heat other for boiler heat) had a thermostatic mixing valve on the outelt that wont go down below 60 degrees, reason stated was the legonella thing.

Reply to
Gazz

60o C is the recommended storage temperature to kill off the nasties that can live at lower temperatures.
Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

All a bit arbitrary really Everytime my corgi man comes he hisses through his teeth and turns my cylstat down to 60 from where we have it at 65.. If we leave it low at 60 the second person to have a bath or shower ends up with only warm water as the boiler takes about 20 minutes to reheat the cylinder.. If we have guests in the guest room and they are showering at the same time it's even worse.. I rigged a thermocouple behind the Cylstat and one at the top of the cylinder and another at the bottom.. Bottom of the tank rarely makes it above 35/40, top gets to about 70 but behind the cylstat it's normally about 50.. So what do the temperature marking mean and what about the bacteria lurking at the bottom of the tank.. The 70 degree water when you fill a bath is a bit hot and needs mixing but soon runs cooler and it takes about between two to five minutes for the cylstat differential to click in and start the boiler(depending on how recently the water was heated) What the temperature on the cylstat is supposed to represent goodness know but it doesn't seem to be the temperature of the cylinder at that point.. I've tried two cylstats and both exhibit the same effect.. One is Satchwell and the other Landis & Gyr. Anyone know of one that is more sensitive and is there a better place to mount it that at the suggested position about a third of the way up the cylinder? Michael

"Heliotrope Smith" wrote in message news:48626c02$1 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-2.news.uk.tiscali.com...

Reply to
Michael Shergold