Hot Water Cylinder

I have a foam lagged hot water copper cylinder that I desparately need replacing. I believe it a gravity fed indirect system fom the back bolier behind the gas fire.

The engineer I called in has said they no longer make this type of boiler and want an extra £80 for the newer higher efficiencey boiler.

This in itself doesn't pose a problem, but I am worried when he said new regulations say I need planning permission to have it fitted, which he will sort out and issue certificate.

The chaps advert says he is corgi registered, nd I am getting a bad feeling about it.

I am being conned.

Problem is we have been without water for a week as I've had to turn it off and drain the system.

Taz

Reply to
Taz

Unless your house is a listed building then you do not need planning approval to change your boiler, fire or hot water cylinder. Just 2 months ago my son and I replaced the hot water cylinder in his flat, the replacement was readily available from the nearby plumber's merchant and was not too difficult to fit. It was a different diameter from the original but fittings were nearly in the same position. There is no need for anyone to be corgi registered to change a hot water cylinder, it is not even connected to the gas supply. I think that you are being had, however I do not follow the thought that your boiler needs replacing. If your gas fire and associated boiler are not functioning properly then that is a different matter altogether. Replacing it still does not need planning approval but has to be done by a corgi registered plumber.

Reply to
Stewart

  1. I am no expert but I'd put money on you don't need PP for a new boiler. Nor a certificate.
  2. You shouldn't have had to wait a week in this weather

Conclusion: Get a new engineer. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

No, No, original price for job was £250, then he upt it by a further £80

The cylinder was leaking from heat exchanger inlet, and is heavily pitted. I don't think it would last much longer.

Whilst I'm no plumber, I do feel I would have been able change it myself quite easily, had it not been for my poor health ( yes we all get old ).

Taz

Reply to
Taz

** Oh I see. Same applies though, even £330 is probably too cheap for a boiler, or did you mean the hot water tank/cylinder?
** Ah, I see you probably did mean the cylinder so the price is OK then?
**Yup, none of us are getting any younger! Doesn't mean you should be ripped off though. Mind you, the price sounds roughly right but I still don't like the guff about PP and certificates etc. I'd get a second opinion at least, you can still use the first guy if you want, afterwards.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

New building regs April 2005 I believe, say that replacement of gas boilers comes under the said regs. So in effect though you don't need planning permission to replace your boiler, it is subject to building regs. The new regs say that you must fit a Condensing type boiler unless the fitter who must be registered, can justify on some grounds or other not to do so. This must be recorded on a certificate to be given to the boiler owner for future use when selling the house (If ever). This is a load of government and EU sponsored crap that ensures that the slightly shady plumbers can rip off the public even more. Condensing boilers are more expensive and more complicated and hence more unreliable than the standard older and even the newer more efficient non condensing boilers. Also unless your radiators (which I am assuming the boiler also feeds and is not hot water only), are drastically oversize in the first place, you will not get a condensing boiler to run more efficiently than a good modern non condensing boiler.

In this case you mention I don't know if you really mean that the plumber is going to replace your boiler. It sounds pretty cheap for a boiler replacement. You don't need to replace your boiler because of a leaking cylinder joint. In fact cylinders and copper joints if they have been leaking for some time can look pretty corroded when in effect all it is is "verdigris", a copper based chemical due to corrosion. It always looks worst than it is. You may only have a leaking joint that needs remaking and all will be well for another 50 years. Just tell a plumber you want the leak stopped and you are not willing to go any further. And keep calling them in until you find one that will do as he's told. Alternatively DIY----, plumbing isn't rocket science, you can get alsorts of repair fittings nowadays. Buy a good plumbing book its cheaper than a plumber and you can believe it.

Dave

"Taz" wrote in message news:FFbtf.16980$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Reply to
dave