Hose pipe connection

Hi there,

I'm trying to connect a hose pipe (Hozelock) to a cold water tap/mains but have no outside garden tap and the connector for the kitchen sink taps are useless (water splutters everywhere when connecting). The only secure and nearby source seems to be the washing machine cold water feed tap.

Question.... Would I be able to use this tap for a hose pipe (I presume a Hozelock threaded tap connector should fit this?)

If so, what other devices can I use so that I do not have to frequently disconnect the washing machine pipe? I have been looking at a possibility of a plastic "y-hose splitter" for this, which is usually for dishwasher connection. But there seems to be no regulator on these splitters (on/off) for the other threaded end (hose pipe will not always be connected to the other end!).

Please help

Regards MT

Reply to
MT

Hi This is a "How long is a pice of string" question. Not an easy job but if the pipe you want to connect to is by an outside wall. There are kits available in most DIY stores that will clamp around your 15mm water pipe and bore a small hole into the pipe, giving you a feed. The kit will also have a pice of hose and an outside tap. All you have to do is follow the instructions. The hard part is making the hole through the wall.

Reply to
Charles Holder

Whilst this is the best permanent solution, an alternative is to use a washing machine type, self-boring valve. That will avoid the need for a Y adaptor and give a leak-proof connection point.

Another alternative is to use the Y adaptor, with a short length of hose ending in a self-sealing push-fit hose connector. Just plug the hose into that connector (with or without turning off the supply valve).

Yet another alternative is to use the Y adaptor, with a standard washing machine hose, a back to back coupler and another reverse-connected valve.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

I'd consider doing a 'proper' job and inserting an inline T junction, you will then be able to fit an outside tap with the mandatory non return valve independent of the WM outlet. It may take a bit more time and planning, but with compression fittings not too difficult for anyone with DIY inclinations. The problem with the clamp on puncture type take off points is that they rely on a small circular flap of copper being cut out of the existing pipe and bent back slightly. Usually this flap stays in place but not always, also the hole is small and this can mean that you won't get full pressure/volume being delivered at the garden tap outlet.

Reply to
AJH