Hiding Central Heating Pipes

I have a lounge with a solid floor. The pipes that connet the radiators run along the skirting and are very ugly. Does anyone know where I might get fluted or recessed skirting board, so I may have a plumber re-configure the pipes and have them hidden by the skirting. Either wood or plastic? Failing that any other ideas welcomed.

Reply to
whowhat

not being in the UK I am uncertain how hot these things get - if you could clarify that, I might have a suggestion or two

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

I would guess the pipes get to 80 or 90 degrees

Reply to
whowhat

Just a suggestion, remove skirting, move pipes back against wall (still at floor level), and then box them in using skirting board as 'front' of box. This box should only protude an inch or so from the wall...

Reply to
Jimmydolittle

I guess you mean degrees F. Could you have the pipes split into a series of smaller pipes, then hide them in the base of the wall? I imagine most people just consider heating pipes are a fact of life and learn to live with them. I am with you - it would shit me to have to see them running along the floor. I designed a system a while back that covered internal wiring by having hollow skirting boards with trays/rails inside them for running all manner of cables through them - this was to be integrated with a wall panelling system so any additional depth was disguised. I was thinking mainly of apartment dwellers who don't have the luxury of going under floors or inside walls. You could make up a deeper box section at the bottom, then step a further piece in a bit, THEN sit your skirting board on top of that - in this way you start deeper and finish against the wall - bloody hard to describe - let me know if the idea appeals and I will do a quick drawing

good luck!

Steve

sweltering in 44 degree Centigrade heat today.

Reply to
mindesign