Hepworth HP20

As I said in a previous posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom whilst she is on holiday. Part of the existing plumbing is using HP20 fittings. I nreed to do some altertions, hw do I dismantle these things? I do not want to go at it like a 'bull at a gate' and find they don't come apart easily or I need a tool to dis-assemble.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

You might find info on the Hepworth site but you turn the water off and unscrew the cap and pull out the pipe and you will find a grab ring ( with teeth that bite if you stick your finger in ) , a plastic ring ,a rubber O ring and a pipe support inside the pipe .

There are different versions of these fittings and ,I believe,that some have parts that can be reused .

Others might have more info and will be along in a wee while Stuart

Reply to
Stuart B

Hep 20 are easily dismantled simply by unscrewing the collar and pull apart. However, the green gripping ring cannot be pulled off. To remove this for reuse then the pipe should be cut behind the ring which can then be slid off .

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom whilst

There are 2 types of hep2o one you can dismantle the other you cannot.

You will need a green relaesing from the plumbers merchant for get the green ring off, if you ask nicely they give it to you free.

Reply to
mrm1960

posting I am refurbing my sisters bathroom whilst

easily

Good bit of info there mrm. All this time I've been snipping those green rings off or cutting the pipe. I will certainly be getting a grab ring demounting tool. Thanks.

Reply to
Heliotrope Smith

Don't use the pushfit fittings. Use Conex compression joints with new metal inserts. Wrap PTFE around the olive. Much better than problematic pushfits.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Remember to put the grab ring back on the correct way around!!!

I have only got it wrong once:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Nothing wrong with PushFit if used correctly.

Using PTFE on olives is a Bodge!

Baz

Reply to
Baz

Everything Drivel does is a bodge. He cuts polypipe with a hacksaw, fails to clean up the ends properly and then whines that the fittings leak.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Please eff off as you a total shitkicking idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Not so. They are problematical. Failures tend to be catastrophic. Use Conex compression joints.

It is what the makers say when using compression fittings on plastic pipes.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Only for fuckwits who can't read simple instructions.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Please eff off as you are a total shitkicking idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It is what the makers say when using compression fittings on plastic pipes.

Can you back that up with a link?

Baz

Reply to
Baz

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well this is interesting.

The Conex web site has downloadable PDF technical guides for their compression fitting range and for their push fit (Cuprofit) ranges.

Looking through the compression fittings one, I can find no reference to the use of PTFE tape. They only mention the use of a sealant for larger fittings such as 54mm.

There is nothing for Cuprofit either that I could find.

Interestingly, both guides specify the use of a pipe cutter to cut the pipe.

Perhaps there are other compression fitting manufacturers who specify the use of PTFE tape.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Matt you have to go to the plastic pipe makers.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Matt, go to page 34, "apply PTFE is required":

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That's a selective misquote. The suggestion is about lubrication not sealing. The key is in the suggestion, when making the compression joint on non-rigid pipe the pipe will twist. Not a problem if the other end is free or pushfit. If a compression slacken off until the other end is free and then nip up. No PTFE required in that case.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

Actually

it says

apply PTFE *if* required.

Perhaps this is where you went wr "Cut the Hep2O pipe with the recommended cutters and proceed as shown below"

Is it possible that you thought that there was a "Don't" on the front?

Reply to
Andy Hall