Help with vandals

Hope someone can give me some sensible ideas, although slightly off topic. I am currently renovating a house for rent in scotland, not in the best of areas. The house is currently vacant and has pedestrian right of way on footpaths around the house (access to the other 2 houses)

  1. I recently had a skip hire for rubbish and the local kids scattered a lot of the contents in the street, I will need to hire another soon how best to stop them? I thought to empty a tin of paint over the contents but this would dry after a day so probably wouldnt deter them.

  1. Some of the local kids take a shortcut through my hedge and across the garden despite being warned from doing this, their parents are obviously not bothered, not that I know who their parents are as I dont live in the property. Any ideas on how to deter them? I thought of laying some fishing line at ankle level, but they would no doubt just cut this in daylight when I am not there. A big bag of chimney soot would do nicely towards ruining their expensive trainers but alas not so available these days.

this is a serious request. Any help appreciated.

Smear copious amounts of grease on any area likely to come in contact with their clothing. Narrow the gap if necessary.

Reply to
Bikini Whacks

HI You can buy non drying security paint at good builders merchants.

HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Have a look for fast growing and spiky plants to put in the hedge to suggest to them it`s a bad idea.

Also be aware that your property seems to be regularly unoccupied. If you upset the local scum when you`re there, who knows what they`ll do once you`ve gone.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

In article , S writes

As an alternative to anti-climb paint mentioned elsewhere, consider oil based paint mixed with engine oil which will do the same job and will be cheaper, suggest 50/50 to start, both the cheapest you can find. Don't be seen poring it.

You may also be able to get a shuttered skip, conventional shape with steel padlockable lid, rare but I have seen them.

Rather than tell off the kids put a barrier in their path. Put in hefty corner fence posts and thread fence wire through the hedge at 6" vertical intervals, tension with straining screws, then thread in verticals at 12" intervals and link to the horizontals to stop the horizontals being spread to get through. Verts can be fence wire but any tough perforated spike/post is easier, using tough cable ties to link to the horizontals. If it gets damaged, replace it, if it happens twice, spray the wire with oil/paint mix.

If you are approached by parents with kids having dirty/oily clothes or by the police on a complaint then deny use of such, blame on vandals, short & sweet.

Spiky plants do work too but take a while to establish and IME need reinforcement

Reply to
fred

Plant Pyracantha or Berberis in the gap, and thread several strands (or a big tangly mess)of fishing line across the gap at various heights till it grows enough to fill it in.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Thanks to all for replying, certainly given me some ideas.

Much appreciated.

Rosa rugosa is a great plant for persuading people to stay away from your hedges. Extremely spiny and will grow in almost any soil.

Reply to
Jim