Help! Wickes undertile warmer has stopped working....

About 18 months ago I installed Wickes undertile warmer in the kitchen. I installed two kits to cover the area. It has been working great. Just this week one of the kits has stopped working. Obviously I don't want to have to rip up the whole lot. Does anyone know of a person near Enfield (Nth. London) who could come and fix it. I doubt the cable is damaged but we are at the limit of my knowledge on this. Any advice (other than ringing Wickes Technical Helpline ) would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk says...

Are they both running from the same control unit? If not, you might be lucky and find that either a fuse or controller has failed. If not, then you're probably looking at a failed mat (or temperature probe).
Do you have a multimeter which you could check the comparitive resistances of the heating mats with (L-N)? If not, any electrician worth their salt should be able to check it out for you, but if the mat itself has failed, you probably need a floor tiler first. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :-(
They are both running from the same controller. It's not a mat, it's the wire laid out in a zig-zag pattern. The probe controls both so I doubt its that as one is working. No, I'm afraid I don't own a multimeter. Many thanks for your help.
Multimeter cost about 15 off Ebay..... one would help you find where the 'break' is.
message

and usually 2 - 3 from Maplin, or maybe as much as a fiver if they don't have one on special offer.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Nick wrote:

or £5 in any Maplin
--
Cheers,

John.

snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com says...

About a fiver from Maplin. -- Roland Butter :- There's nothing like a knob of butter.
On 27 Nov 2005 14:10:56 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk"

Oops! One of the major drawbacks of underfloor heating.
Salesmen would have you believe that this stuff never fails. Reality is somewhat different..
sponix
sPoNiX wrote:

Absolutely ghastly method of heating, too.

Yep,and a nightmare if you suffer from hot feet. Main advantage is the space it saves. New build grand designs etc. seem to love it. Simon.

For whole rooms, as their primary source of heat? Yeah, it'd be a bad idea. But underfloor radiant heat using liquid tends to be a lot more reliable. For a simple bathroom underfloor mats work well enough, provided they're installed properly.
wkearney99 wrote:

For me, reliability ain't the issue - I just really dislike UFH! AFAIK this view isn't unique, 'though there are people who really, really like it. I hope it's not simply radiant heat, though, I've an idea that'd set fire to my slippers!