Help re blanking off small window

I want to blank off a small house window, size 2ft wide by 4ft 6ins deep. It is recessed about 4ins into the brickwork (outside) and one reason for doing this is because some parts of the wood (at the bottom of the frame) are rotten. I know that is not a good enough reason to normally close off a window but we don't wish to use it anyway and in fact it is already blanked off indoors.

There are obviously a number of options but although bricking it up is a very good one, it is both expensive and too permanent.

The option we feel inclined to prefer is plastic cladding, the type that is

100mm or 150mm deep and fits together like T&G boarding, either white or brown, which is often used to clad the front of some modern houses. This seems to be a suitable material for us because it is cheap; simple to apply; and easily removed if one changes one's mind later. It is on a side wall and the appearance is therefore not very important.

I would like to instal this material inside the recess of the wall (not inside the house) but I don't see how this is possible when using the edging material which makes it look better. Does it have to go outside the recess? And, if it does have to go outside, I presume that it needs battens fitted to the brickwork?

Any helpful advice on this project would be greatly appreciated and if anyone can suggest a better alternative material to use, I should be grateful.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cire

Despite being a complete goon at brickwork I would recommend you reconsider bricks. It is reasonably easy and very satisfying. The most difficult part is getting the final bit of mortar into the bricks.

As to being permanent, having put them in, you should find confidence in removing them.

Reply to
EricP