Heavy Gates - Hindges

Am fitting some wooden gates What is the correct direction to fit the hindge hooks ? One up and one down would stop theft but all the weight is then taken by the one pointing upwards Whats the best suggested method ? thanks
--
Vass

On 2005-08-31 09:03:44 +0100, "Vass"

You've answered your own question ;-)
--

Cheers

Derryck
Definately not both down.
said:

If you fit both hinges pointing upwards the chance of the weight of the gate being equally supported by both hinges is virtually nil.
To achieve an equal distribution, the hinges on the post and gate would have to be very accurately fitted and shimming washers would need to be used.
Without that sort of precision the gate weight would be supported by either the top or bottom hinge.
If the gate weight is supported by only the top hinge you will find that very soon the top of the post above the top hinge will crack, if for example someone stands/swings on the gate.
If the gate weight is supported by only the bottom hinge then you have more resistance to the post cracking should someone stand/swing on the gate.
The answer to your question is therefore:
a) fit the bottom hinge facing upwards to take the weight of the gate
b) fit the top hinge facing downwards as a security measure.

"Mackem" wrote

Thanks Macken I thought this too, but wanted to be sure there was'nt something i'd missed cheers
--
Vass

gate
have
Not really. You fit the gate with one hinge, and support it on a bit of wood. Then push the pin part of the other hinge up through the eye part until it touches and screw it to the post. Any unequal distribution will be minimal and will quickly be evened out by the hinge with the most weight on it wearing until the other one takes its share. The hinges will last longer if they're both pulling their weight.
A simple piece of angle screwed to the post will prevent the gate being lifted off. . Steve

Well, I've got a heavy gate and I put both hinges in the pointing upwards. I didn't seem to find it a problem to get the both at the right height, and they are driven in, not screwed. Best to have the top hinge of the type that goes right thro' the post with a nut on the back. Then you can adjust it from time to time.
And the post hasn't cracked - it's oak.
Rob Graham