Heavy Duty Hedge Trimming

Hi,
I have a hedge that I want to really lower a lot. However, my cheap electric hedge cutter won't touch it - most of the wood is half inch in diameter and more, at that depth into the hedge. My petrol chain saw soon jams up with foliage and small branches - and isn't really the right tool for the job.
Any thoughts? Would a BIG hedge cutter (petrol?, electric?) cope with this sort of stuff? Unfortunately I can't get next door's tractor, with its hedging attachment, near enough.
I was thinking of hiring one..
-- Sue

Could you not *bribe* the guy that drives that thing that destroys hedges along to roadside to have a go at it?
That thing seems to tackle anything and with your country connections you should know where one is?
EricP wrote:

Can't get it near enough, unfortunately. Which is rather a shame because, as you point out, it would eat the hedge in no time at all.
-- Sue

than yours, I used the electric cutters to trim back to the thick wood, then used some log handled secateures to get through the big stuff.
Harry Stottle wrote:
:: ::: Hi, ::: ::: I have a hedge that I want to really lower a lot. However, my cheap ::: electric hedge cutter won't touch it - most of the wood is half inch ::: in diameter and more, at that depth into the hedge. My petrol chain ::: saw soon jams up with foliage and small branches - and isn't really ::: the right tool for the job. ::: ::: Any thoughts? Would a BIG hedge cutter (petrol?, electric?) cope ::: with this sort of stuff? Unfortunately I can't get next door's ::: tractor, with its hedging attachment, near enough. ::: ::: :: When I had a similar problem on what I suspect was a much shorter :: hedge than yours, I used the electric cutters to trim back to the :: thick wood, then used some log handled secateures to get through the :: big stuff.
Use loppers to cut the thick would to the required hight and width then trim to a neat finish with the hedge trimmer
--
daZza
mr.dazza@"BUT_PLUG"gmail.com

you need an old suffolk punch cylinder lawnmower and a couple of ladders, balance the ladders on the hedge then run the lawnmower over the top....
if you do this, i'll keep an eye out on the darwin awards site for your entry :)
Wonder if you could get hold of one of those 2 person tree cutting saws, the push pull saws used before chain saws came along, that'd get through the branches but would be hard work.

Sadly a tractor hedge trimmer is probably the only thing that will work. I had a 70M privet hedge around the front of my last house. Used to take me all week to trim it. Tried big electric hedge trimmer and big chain saw. Bloody useless. After I had a heart attack I got someone to dig it out and put a fence up.