Heavy Duty Hedge Trimming

Hi,

I have a hedge that I want to really lower a lot. However, my cheap electric hedge cutter won't touch it - most of the wood is half inch in diameter and more, at that depth into the hedge. My petrol chain saw soon jams up with foliage and small branches - and isn't really the right tool for the job.

Any thoughts? Would a BIG hedge cutter (petrol?, electric?) cope with this sort of stuff? Unfortunately I can't get next door's tractor, with its hedging attachment, near enough.

I was thinking of hiring one..

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

Could you not *bribe* the guy that drives that thing that destroys hedges along to roadside to have a go at it?

That thing seems to tackle anything and with your country connections you should know where one is?

Reply to
EricP

Can't get it near enough, unfortunately. Which is rather a shame because, as you point out, it would eat the hedge in no time at all.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

When I had a similar problem on what I suspect was a much shorter hedge than yours, I used the electric cutters to trim back to the thick wood, then used some log handled secateures to get through the big stuff.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

Use loppers to cut the thick would to the required hight and width then trim to a neat finish with the hedge trimmer

Reply to
>{daZza

Sadly a tractor hedge trimmer is probably the only thing that will work. I had a 70M privet hedge around the front of my last house. Used to take me all week to trim it. Tried big electric hedge trimmer and big chain saw. Bloody useless. After I had a heart attack I got someone to dig it out and put a fence up.

Reply to
Alang