Heavily nicotine stained walls.

A few years ago we had the job of cleaning just that from the walls of a chain smoking elderly Aunts house.

We used a detergent called Vee Vic, that was sold as a decorators cleaner like a heavy duty version of sugar soap. It worked, but i havent seen this product around recently. You could ask in a good painters suppliers, I dont mean a DIY shop!

Or you could try Vulpex, which the museums seem to use for everything. You get this from conservators suppliers. Do a Google for it.

John

Reply to
John

No, it's SUGAR SOAP that you need!

Reply to
Limey Lurker

Can anyone advise me the best way to clean nicotine from walls and ceilings prior to painting? Tried saddle soap but it really hasn`t made much of an impression. Would much appreciate some help/advice.

Nails

Reply to
Nails

Many thanks for the quick reply. I`ll check it out!!

Nails

Reply to
Nails

I used 'stainblock' available from BandQ. ~£20 a tin, will do a standard room. Just paint it on. Far less painfull than cleaning it all down. Gets rid of the smell too.

Regards Gary

Reply to
G Cadman

Yes. Sorry my mistake, that`s what I used. Many thanks.

Nails

Reply to
Nails

Why remove it? I imagine its an ideal fungicide.

Reply to
stevenM

Cheers Gary, That sounds like the fella i`m after! Much appreciated.

Nails

Reply to
Nails

Thompson's (as in the water seal people) used to do a nicotine sealing paint, can't see it today on the website. Worth a look in your local diy store though as Thompson stuff is pretty good.

HTH

Reply to
stevej

Much appreciated!

Nails

Reply to
Nails

An old towel, hot water, household soap and elbow greese.

Reply to
Peter Coddington

.. >On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:47:11 +0000, G Cadman wrote: .. >

.. >> I used 'stainblock' available from BandQ. ~£20 a tin, will do a standard .. >> room. .. >> Just paint it on. Far less painfull than cleaning it all down. Gets rid of .. >> the smell too. .. >> .. >> Regards .. >> Gary .. >> .. > Cheers Gary, .. > That sounds like the fella i`m after! .. > Much appreciated. .. >

.. > Nails

I noticed when i steamed the wallpaper off a "new" house, the nicotine ran down the walls beautifully .... yuk. So perhaps a steamer on any walls would release it to be wiped off I reckon

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Yes, that's the best way, the hot steam does the trick and you just wipe it off with a wet cloth. Very easy and quick.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to