Heavily nicotine stained walls.

Can anyone advise me the best way to clean nicotine from walls and ceilings prior to painting? Tried saddle soap but it really hasn`t made much of an impression. Would much appreciate some help/advice.
Nails
A few years ago we had the job of cleaning just that from the walls of a chain smoking elderly Aunts house.
We used a detergent called Vee Vic, that was sold as a decorators cleaner like a heavy duty version of sugar soap. It worked, but i havent seen this product around recently. You could ask in a good painters suppliers, I dont mean a DIY shop!
Or you could try Vulpex, which the museums seem to use for everything. You get this from conservators suppliers. Do a Google for it.
John

On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 21:40:15 +0000, John wrote:

Many thanks for the quick reply. I`ll check it out!!
Nails
No, it's SUGAR SOAP that you need!
On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:33:35 -0800, Limey Lurker wrote:

Yes. Sorry my mistake, that`s what I used. Many thanks.
Nails
I used 'stainblock' available from BandQ. ~20 a tin, will do a standard room. Just paint it on. Far less painfull than cleaning it all down. Gets rid of the smell too.
Regards Gary

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:47:11 +0000, G Cadman wrote:

That sounds like the fella i`m after! Much appreciated.
Nails
.. >On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 09:47:11 +0000, G Cadman wrote: .. > .. >> I used 'stainblock' available from BandQ. ~20 a tin, will do a standard .. >> room. .. >> Just paint it on. Far less painfull than cleaning it all down. Gets rid of .. >> the smell too. .. >> .. >> Regards .. >> Gary .. >> .. > Cheers Gary, .. > That sounds like the fella i`m after! .. > Much appreciated. .. > .. > Nails
I noticed when i steamed the wallpaper off a "new" house, the nicotine ran down the walls beautifully .... yuk. So perhaps a steamer on any walls would release it to be wiped off I reckon
Mike P
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:38:40 +0000, in free.uk.diy.home Mike P

Yes, that's the best way, the hot steam does the trick and you just wipe it off with a wet cloth. Very easy and quick.
Why remove it? I imagine its an ideal fungicide.

Thompson's (as in the water seal people) used to do a nicotine sealing paint, can't see it today on the website. Worth a look in your local diy store though as Thompson stuff is pretty good.
HTH

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 10:44:22 +0000, stevej wrote:

Much appreciated!
Nails

An old towel, hot water, household soap and elbow greese.