Heating oil level in tank-Query

Recently I had difficulty in reading the level of oil in my tank via the fitted plastic tube I have heard of a small ball being placed in the tube to facilitate reading the level. I am looking for advice Blair

Ours became too grubby to read after just a few years. So we simply used a clean, long, garden cane to dip the tank from time to time..
I'm not sure I would trust a ball not to stick - given a false reading.
--
Martin

bm wrote:

Not a ball bearing - that wouldn't float. A piece of cork, but make sure it's well within the diameter of the pipe so it doesn't stick. This does work.
Rob Graham

I'd replace that silly tube post-haste! Remove it completely and blank the hole. As well as making the level invisible by becoming opaque, the tube is usually plastic and will become brittle with time. They can split and then guess what happens to your expensive oil. I know about the button you have to press to read the level, that valve usually doesn't seat properly and shut off the tank contents after a few years.
Garden cane - super idea!!!!!

That is what I use, never lets me down :-)
kate

Many thanks to you and the others for all the suggestions I will take your advice Blair