hanging basket bracket

After the heavy winds my hanging basket bracket is fairly loose,a joiner put it up with rawl plug and screws I have tightened them but not sure if like the recent winds if my basket wont come crashing down.My husband (R.I.P)put up my last bracket years ago and he used bolts it is still rock solid,unfortunately now in my 70,s I have to do my own little jobs,though handy with all his tools etc.I have the same bolts he used,do I need to drill the holes wee bit bigger,do I need rawl plugs? also what kind of masonery drill bits do I use the black ones or the shiny ones.Thanks for any advice
"itsnaeme" wrote:

It is difficult to advise without being able to see the state of the brickwork, plugs and screws, but I have found in most cases that a few broken matchsticks will take up the slack and give a good grip for the screw threads. It is a case of judging how much slack there is and therefore how many matchsticks to poke in the holes. Too few matchsticks and the screws can't grip tight enough, so remove the screws and add more matchsticks. To many matchsticks will result in not being able to turn the screws fully home. Hope that helps.

Pillock
"Mr Pounder" prodded his two remaining neurones into action and typed:

It takes one to know one.

It's a troll ya *pillock*.

You say you have the bolts he used. However, I doubt if these are just bolts - more probably bolts that go into a metal expanding fixing, the more you screw in the bolt the more the fixing expands and grips the hole it's in. If these aren't the ones, then I suggest you get some. As for drilling the holes bigger, it depends on what size the expanding part is compared to the holes. Provided the fixing will go into the hole and more or less touch the sides, then it will probably expand enough to fill the hole tightly. You'll soon find out when you tighten the bolts! As for masonry bits, I use the ones that have a carbide tip, but if you use a masonry drill of some sort it'll work. Don't worry about what type. But don't try to use ordinary twist drills made for metal - they'll get blunt quickly. All this assumes the brickwork is in good enough condition to take such fixings. You can't fix anything substantial to crumbling bricks!
Now I know what drill bits to use in future.I put in matchstick I remember doing this before and it did the job,the bracket is now solid the wall in question was a new bedroom added 3 years ago and harled,I did ask a neighbour to see if they thought it was secure and was assured there was no chance of it coming off the wall,so another little job done.thanks again everyone
wrote:

[...]

Not very easy to advise without seeing - and it doesn't sound like (and no offence intended) that it's a job you could safely do yourself.
Do you not have a friendly neighbour who could help?