Hanging a boiler.

A ferroli optimax HE31 to be more exact. 46Kgs according to the manual.
The box contains a mounting kit with 2 x M8 70mm coach screws and some very cheap looking rawl plugs. The mounting bracket is a 25mm band, 2mm thick with 2 small lips to locate the boiler on.
Im sure Ferroli have done all the maths but its seems an awfully wimpy bit of kit to hang 7 stone on. Anyone been here before ? Im guessing this isnt a manufacturer specific problem - whats the normal way of hanging boilers?
The wall is brick but theres about 35mm of plaster and tile before you get to it so Id already decided to dump the 70mm screws and use 90.
Im beginning to wish Id have gone with the worcester bosh now, it was 1/2 the weight......
Thoughts? (other than use "suitable fixings")
Lard
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 21:36:32 +0000, Lardman wrote:

=================================Use coach screws (hex heads) - much easier to screw in with a spanner.
Have a look in: www.screwfix.co.uk if you want examples.
Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Id planned on doing so M8 x90's - but Im a little concerned that there are only 2 mounting points for the bracket and the boiler just hangs from 2 very small lips.on the bracket. I understand the load is in shear but even so....Id hoped to see a couple of 3 foot length of angle iron welded on the back !
I once had a shelf "jump" off the wall and its made me a little paranoid about such things....
Lard.
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 22:11:35 +0000, Lardman wrote:

=================================You may be able to fix an angle iron bracket to the wall for support at the bottom of the casing. Even if the casing is a bit weak at that point it will prevent a sudden catastrophic failure of the two main fixings - suggest M10 or even M12.
Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Like I said there are fixing are provided with the boiler and my plumber suggested using them - but then its not *his* boiler that will fall off the wall is it !!! While Im confident hes a decent plumber Im damn sure hes not a structural engineer. The supplied coach srews and bracket may well be *good enough* but Id rather spend a few pence now on better fixings and sleep soundly knowing its very securely attached..... hense my OP.
The rest of the job is done and dry pressure tested, but thanks for the vote of confidence !
Lard

inadequate is an indication that you are a competent person and thinker. All too many 'approved' fitters would poke the puny 2" rawlplugs half into brick plus half into plaster and be happy with that. Much as you seem to have decided I would aim to put 2" of the plug/fixing into the brick for security so 3" plugs and fixings seem about right. Screwfix have an excellent range and as well as coach screw types, those with Torx heads (especially those from Fischer) I have found particularly easy to use and reliable.
I've not seen the small lip you are concerned about holding the boiler but it sounds as if you are being a tad over concerned, it is a heavy boiler and unlikely to jump off the flange unless you are in an earthquake zone ;-). I'd count the pipework as being an extra downward fixing point but if it really bothers you then drill another fixing through the lower part of the case to hold it down.
ps: don't be worried about trolling comments.
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla

I'll have a look - I seem to have every size other than the one I need in the shed, always the way.

I've found a couple of high load shelf brackets I'll added those to give support at the bottom.I do like belt, braces and a piece of string - you just never know.

Normally I wouldnt feed him but ...
Thanks for the suggestions.
Lard.

Similar thoughts when I put my Keston C25 up. Similar weight, and I'd decided to put it up high on the wall. Lifting a large object of that weight up a ladder is not an easy task. I already decided that if it went off-balance, I was just going to drop it onto the concrete floor rather than try and save it. I wasn't going to risk doing my back in for the sake of saving 700 on buying another one. There wasn't space to get anyone in to help -- they would just block the drop path for the boiler!
--
Andrew Gabriel

Im not a small bloke but I wouldnt dream of lifting the boiler on my own, let alone carry it up a ladder. Having said that me plus the boiler - ladders would probably collapse :-)
Lard

It may sound obvious, but have you contacted Ferroli tech support about your concerns?