Halogen bulbs still blowing

Why would our 50 watt halogen bulbs (transformer-less) keep blowing within a few weeks (days in some cases)? 2 year/1500 hours lifetime - not even approaching it. Many thanks

check what voltage is getting to the bulbs (when they are running)
Thanks. How do I do this (without risking electrocution)?

Also, I guess you know this, you must not touch the glass envekope of the bulb at all with your fingers ever. If you do, they need to be cleaned with meths. This is because grease from your fingers causes localised heat build up and early bulb failure. TonyB

get a multimeter, set it to an AC range of 20 volts or so, and connect it across the bulb with the bulb still in (a couple of pins can be handy here) turn the lamp on and check the voltage (somewhere around 12 is ideal) Sometimes when transformers fail they can give out substantial extra voltage, before dying completely.
mrcheerful

oh dear!

Should I call an ambulance now or wait for the post asking for help?
Adam
On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:53:42 GMT, "ARWadsworth"

Repairing Your Multimeter. :))

sorry, my mistake, didn't read transformer LESS
mrcheerful

If you have energetic kids like ours, every now and again antics in the kids bedroom (not what you might think!) were causing a vibration in the ceiling and I noticed the bulbs had a tendency to blow when that happened. Quite a few bulbs went until I had words. Of course it might be totally unrelated to your problem.
Paul

Improved things greatly with softstart units (www.tlc-direct.co.uk) , but eventually ripped whole lot out and replaced with 12V halogens and torrodal transformers. That was 5 years ago and all 18 halogens are still working, not had one go.
Catullus wrote:

(240V) bulbs were blowing. Mains voltage too high, if I recall right it was 245V. I fitted an autotransformer to the lighting circuit, 100VA, about 10V reducing voltage.
Jozef