Grow your own Tobacco in the garden?

Visit www.tobaccoseed.co.uk and save yourself a fortune too.

Yeah, well, there's a reason tobacco isn't commercially grown in the UK, and if you've ever tried to grow it yourself (as I did in the early 90's) you'll know why! It tastes like bog roll (used) need I say more?
We just don't get the sunshine, don't be taken in by global warming and all that political manipulation, we still haven't warmed enough to grow it in 2009!
Ron

Some tobacco seeds fell into my hand, as they do, on a holiday to Cuba a couple of years ago. I have been growing a few of these plants as annuals in my garden, they have very pretty small pink flowers. The leaves were sticky like all Nicotianas. My plants overwinter indoors until I can put them out again.
The difference is in the curing process in Cuba, piling the leaves up in huge bales, tying them up with straw, letting them 'moulder' for a few months in a shed (although, strangely, they don't rot), then taking them apart and letting them dry out until they're limp like brown dishclothes, then chopping some up and rolling them in the big brown leaves to make a cigar. My partner's old violin teacher used to grow his own, and how he cured it we don't know. The leaves will never dry out as such, because they're too sticky.
someone

GIVE UP SMOKING