Gravel drive

I want to repair a part of a gravel drive. Originally it was dug out and scalpings were put down with a vibrator. Followed with pea gravel (5 mm size)

Now I want to add 1 or 2 cms to some areas - some of the larger stones of the scalpings have worked loose. I am thinking of putting down sharp sand and gravel 2:1 maybe with some cement to help to stop the movement.

Any ideas, folks?

Thanks in advance

Colin

Reply to
Colin Jackson

In order to get reasonable compaction with gravelly materials, the general rule of thumb is that the minimum (compacted) thickness you should try to lay is roughly equal to two and a half times the nominal aggregate size. So your proposal seems sensible to me, although I don't know that I would bother with the cement. My feeling is, that laid in such a thin layer, the mix would break up soon after it hardened. However if you decide to go with the cement, go for a lean mix, say 18 (aggregate) to 1 (cement) by volume.

Reply to
Bypass

5mm is too small for a drive - you want 18mm. Just lay it, rake it level & run a wacker plate over it.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman