Gravel drive

I want to repair a part of a gravel drive. Originally it was dug out and scalpings were put down with a vibrator. Followed with pea gravel (5 mm size)
Now I want to add 1 or 2 cms to some areas - some of the larger stones of the scalpings have worked loose. I am thinking of putting down sharp sand and gravel 2:1 maybe with some cement to help to stop the movement.
Any ideas, folks?
Thanks in advance
Colin
Colin Jackson wrote:

In order to get reasonable compaction with gravelly materials, the general rule of thumb is that the minimum (compacted) thickness you should try to lay is roughly equal to two and a half times the nominal aggregate size. So your proposal seems sensible to me, although I don't know that I would bother with the cement. My feeling is, that laid in such a thin layer, the mix would break up soon after it hardened. However if you decide to go with the cement, go for a lean mix, say 18 (aggregate) to 1 (cement) by volume.
Colin Jackson wrote:

5mm is too small for a drive - you want 18mm. Just lay it, rake it level & run a wacker plate over it.
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman