Going Rate?

SWMBO wants the hall stairs and landing decorated. I am not opposed to DIY decorating but I am not good with planks, ladders and the like when it comes to the long drops down the stairway. It is a fairly normal hall (10' x 6') with a straight staircase and a landing at the top (12' x 4'), the ceilings are normal height i.e. not the high old type. She wants it wallpapered and I am not confident enough to do the stairs off of a ladder and plank etc. (plus I haven't got a plank)! The wallpaper will have a match (35cm) and the ceilings will be white emulsion. There are 8 doors and a loft hatch to gloss and all the relevant architraves and stair runners. The carpet will not be down as she wants a new one!! I appreciate you haven't seen it but can somebody give me a ball park figure for a decorator to do this job, just so I know if the decorator I ask isn't pulling a fast one? I did think about hiring a tower of some sort but thought the money would be better off put towards a proffesional job and also it would be done quicker.
Cheers
John

400 - 500 including paint. If you supply your own paper, make sure it is good stuff, otherwise you may be charged more - it is a horrible job trying to put up cheap wallpaper. It would take me most of 4 days to do it properly. Alan.
--
To reply by e-mail, change the \' + \' to \'plus\'.

Just in case you can still be persuaded to DIY, I did our stairs and landing with one of these: http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18247/Access-Storage/Platform-Ladder/4-Way-Platform-Ladder It solved the access problem easily, and has been useful for all sorts of jobs since - great for older houses with high ceilings.
However, something tells me the access issue is a convenient excuse for 'er indoors.
Cheers!
Martin
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 12:52:14 -0700 (PDT), martin snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/18247/Access-Storage/Platform-Ladder/4-Way-Platform-Ladder
I've been looking at that sort of thing - is it the same as this one:
http://www.midlandladders.com/products/Multi_Purpose_4_x_4_rung_Folding_Ladder_c_w_platform-103-37.html
as it's difficult to tell exactly, especially as it's described as " 4 x 4 rung" but appears to have 6 rungs?
--
Peter.

No, that one looks more sophisticated, in that it can do more permutations, but I think mine is better to work off, because it has a proper (fairly wide) platform with no rungs in it (rather than just a horizontal bit of ladder).
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:23:53 -0700 (PDT), martin snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yes, working from rungs... But some of these do have platforms and it would be very easy to make a platform - 12mm ply would be more than adequate as it would be supported about every 25cm.
--
Peter.

What sort of nick is it in? Is it currently papered and, if so, will that be easy/hard to strip off? If it's all hunky-dory I'd say 500 but you supply the materials, and they'd better be good quality or else!