Getting paint off brickwork?

How can I do this without making a mess of the bricks underneath?
Sorry, I misread your question. Use cellulose thinners, not the stuff I said in my last post!
Rob Graham
Use "Nitromors" paint stripper; it's thick enough not to run down the wall before it's softened the paint.
You can buy stuff in builders merchants to dissolve it off. It's hydrochloric acid and won't hurt the bricks.
Rob Graham