GCH Installation Questions

I have a question for all the sages on here about the installation, size and rough cost of installing (not replacing an existing) gas central heating system in my house The house is an old, big Edwardian property, consisting of 3 downstairs rooms, plus kitchen, the upstairs having 3 full sized bedrooms, plus one box sized room, and usual bathroom. At present most rooms have gas fires in them (even the downstairs and upstairs hallways) The kitchen and bathroom have no heating at all. I have no header tank..........the hot water is supplied via a gas instantanious multipoint heater from the mains. What would be the average cost to install a system in the above house ? This would be using a firm to do all the work I should mention that one of the rooms i wish to install a radiator in has a concrete floor (if that matters)

Any answers gratefully recieved

TIA

T-L

Reply to
Tamale-Loco

You might have some change out of 5 grand if you are lucky. Your current gas appliances will need to be decommissioned (although you might want to keep gas fires in your lounge and dining room) and a new gas supply pipe will probably be needed to wherever your new condensing boiler will be; it is unlikely that the current gas pipe from your meter will be large enough to supply a condensing boiler. If the new boiler is going to be some distance from the gas meter then this will push up the cost. You won't need a header tank, condensing boilers are fed directly from the cold water main supply. That's as much as I know, not being a plumber/heating engineer.

Reply to
DIY

Id suggeest approx 4.5 - 5K based on what you`ve said without seeing it, going for a middle of the range boiler.

The response from DIY is spot on, your gas pipework is likely to need replacing, first thing the plumber should do is test it for soundness but its still likely to be too small (most new boilers require a minimum size of

22mm and a shortish length of pipe from the gas meter).

Would also depend on where you are in the country, it would be cheaper in the sticks where the local plumbers are more likely to need the work, and hence be more competative on the price, in my experience.

Richard

fullflow plumbing

competative

Thanks for those replies, you 2 At least now i have a ball park figure, so i know when any quotes/estimates are a rip off or not

T-L

Reply to
Tamale-Loco

Not far off the mark but 5K sounds a little steep. You can get your costs/quotes reduced by DIYing things like moving furniture, lifting and refitting carpets, ripping out a fireplace or old heater that will be defunct etc. If your DIY skills are not upto a full CH install but are good enough to do these sort of things then offer to do them and ask for this to be take into consideration when you get a quote.

Just a note to DIY. You did mean combi boiler not condensing boiler didn't you :-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes (again) ;)