Gas meter box

Hi - my father's gas meter is built into the outside wall of his house,housed in a plastic box. The last meter reader can't have shut it properly and a strong wind has ripped the door from its hinges. I've e-mailed British Gas but no reply. Any idea where I can get a spare door/box any other ideas?
Cheers,
Trev

IME, very few big businesses respond to customers' emails. I suggest you simply phone them, and if they don't agree to come and sort it out, just say you think it's leaking gas.
The boxes can be bought at builders merchants - but I doubt the door can be bought separately. To fit, a gas-man would probably need to disconnect pipes etc. In any case, your dad shouldn't have to pay - it's BG's fault, and I'd expect them simply to recover the costs from the meter-reading firm.
--
Martin

[Remove barrier to reply]
Cost about 70- no need to shut gas off etc.

I would suggest a letter would be more effective in getting a reply
and if they don't agree to come and sort it out, just say

The box will not leak gas.

You might not be able to buy the door seperately but you may be able to buy the whole unit and change the door. That would not require a gas man
In any case, your dad shouldn't have to pay - it's BG's fault,

It is worth another complaint.
I suppose the only other option is an insurance claim
Adam

I moved into my new house last November. The Gas Meter box outside was damaged and I asked BG about it. They gave me a telephone number which I rang and spoke to a very charming lady who informed me that it was my responsibility to ensure that the Gas meter was placed inside a weather proof installation and that I could if I wished get them to replace the box. Here's the bad news. She quoted a figure that nearly blew my head off and on top of that would be a fitting charge. Have a look here:-
http://www.besltd.net/nav_graf/frames_cat.htm
Considerably cheaper and you may even be able to fix it yourself.
--
the_constructor

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:22:23 +0100, "the_constructor"

http://www.bes.ltd.uk/products/041.asp
Trevor wrote:

It's not bg anymore it's National Grid.
--