Gas Inset Fires or Electric Inset Fires?

Was thinking about having an inset fire, but are gas inset fires more expensive to run? What about electric inset fires? are these expensive to run. If a gas inset fire is less efficient, does this mean that an electric inset fire would more or less cost the same to run?
Some ideas please
Thanks

I think it will vary according to the energy output of each fire, the energy efficiency of each fire, how much your fuel tariff is etcetera. The formulae for calculating running costs based on energy output of both gas and electric fires can be found at http://www.simplyfires.com/technical-information.htm . Gas has always been relatively cheaper than electricity but with recent sharp increases in gas tariffs I don't know whether this is still the case.

According to my gas installer, whom I have known for many years and have complete trust in, inset fires are more expensive to run than radiant gas fires in terms of heat efficiency. We had a Baxi coal effect fire which took ages to heat the room so we changed it for a Baxi radiant fire and now the room heats up in no time at all. As for electric fires, I personally wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. -- the_constructor
Thanks, I'll go for a gas outset one. Such a pity that they're so big though