gas fires that have no flue

Outside humidity will affect the interior humidity, sure, but raising the temperature 30C will *always* drop whatever it is outside through the floor. Are you saying that you don't heat your homes?

Oh, you don't heat your whole house. How stupid is that? Well, I would suppose that you wouldn't run ventless gas logs in that part, either.

The point of the ventless gas logs is heat (while looking nice), which will lower RH significantly. Water vapor from combustion is welcome. Many have humidifiers built into their furnaces for exactly this reason. I'm hoping the gas logs make this unnecessary (humidifiers are asking for mold and other nasties).

Reply to
krw

Stupid people not wanting to spend >10% gross income on heat? Stupid people living 1-person in 3-person house? Stupid people not having full "whole-house heating"?

UK history... #1 UK housing construction:

- 1930 cavity double brick, walls U=1.73, windows U=4.5

- >1970 cavity brick & block/timber frame, walls U=1.55

- >1995 cavity brick & block/timber, 2008 cavity brick & block/timber,

Reply to
js.b1

If you have low ACH + no open chimney they should work fine.

- I would still price out a Balanced-Flue version (*)

- Often Balanced-Flue are cheaper to buy - but costly to install

- Balanced-Flue can not be taken with you when you move

(*) - Tube through an exterior wall combines air-intake & flue, room sealed.

For UK housing the problem is 2-3 open-flue chimney. The draw from the 2-3 chimney would suck icy cold air in 24hrs a day thro the 4in*4in vent.

Reply to
js.b1

Hmm, my 2600 sq.ft. house, built with construction methods you seem to look down your nose at, costs less than 1% of my gross income to heat

*and* air condition. Either energy is taxed astronomically over there, you need a real job, or you're full of shit. ...likely all three.

There are two of us. We rather like space, though a basement would be even better.

Stupid people having useless space.

Reply to
krw

...and run the intake/flue into the master bedroom? LOL!

Block them off.

Have you never heard of a damper? No wonder you spend so much on energy.

Reply to
krw

Really? Supermarkets shrinkwrap more intelligent life than you :-)

UK has LOW INSULATION:

- 2005 =3D=3D 50mm, >2009 =3D= =3D

100mm. Germany is =3D=3D 300mm.

- UK housing is built #1 as SECURITY for mortgage lender long obsessed with brick construction

- UK housing is built #2 for construction jobs, the most efficiency absorber of unemployment, strong anti German/Dutch/USA factory build efficient housing systems

- UK housing is built #3 cheap construction due to land price typically =A3150,000 of a =A3180,000 Avg UK House Price

UK has high energy bills due to LOW INSULATION:

- UK Gas is 3.4p per kWhr -- UK uses 24,000/yr

- UK Elec is 10p per kWhr -- UK avg is 4500/yr

- Gasoline is about =A35.40 / 9$USA a US Imperial gallon.

UK Avg Income:

- UK Avg Income =3D =A319,500 including bankers.

- Median (50th percentile) Income is circa =A318,300.

Two people on Average Earnings - 3.2% on Energy. Single person on Average Earnings - 6.3% on Energy. Retired person on State Pension - >15% on Energy.

Money is ill-targetted on Insulation:

- UK Double Glazing has 164yr payback

- UK Loft Insulation has 2yr payback

- UK Cavity Wall Insulation has 2yr payback

- Vast majority of houses get DG, but not the rest

The fundamental UK problem is Restricted Land Supply. It means money from 1984 that should have gone into 1) investment 2) pensions 3) self-start businesses is soaked up into housing for consumerist borrowing that is unsustainable. Taking the channel from

1990 lows and previous decades, inflation adjusted, the average UK house price should be about 68,000 - it is still around 182,000.

Miss-Allocation Of Capital. USA thought it wrote the book? USA is #20 total private & public debt in the world. UK is writing the obituary? UK is #2 total private & public debt in the world, Ireland is #1 writing the obituary.

The unknown is whether Obama manages to create Healthcare AND reduce Big Gov't Cost to pay for it. They shut Washington for 5 days in the winter, if nothing in gov't stopped working start sacking!

Reply to
js.b1

CO will quickly combine with oxygen in the air to produce carbon dioxide. The CO problem occurs when all the oxygen in the room is used up and the CO builds to dangerous levels. Therefore, small amounts of CO in a vented room should not, theoretically, be a problem.

I wouldn't want one though!

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Really.

No, but it's abundantly clear that you're clueless.

A US Imperial gallon? Speakign of clueless...

Like I said, you need a better job.

Your retired should have saved more, huh. I hope you learn a lesson from this.

You're pretty stupid, huh. They go for the 164yr payback but not the two year.

So you agree with me, that your country taxes energy astronomically, you need a real job, and you're full of shit.

Reply to
krw

Just think horsepower and divide by 746.

HTH HAND

Ian.

Reply to
Ian