gas cenrtal heating boiler wont ignite

Hi There My boiler has been working fine up until last night. I usually just swich the boiler on went I want heat but yesterday I put it on to timer for the first time in over a year and now it wont ignite. The pilot is on but the boiler just wont fire up. I went through the shut down and start up proceedures and the first two times I tried this, the boiler swicthed on, and then swiched itself off after maybe three mins and now it wont fire up at all. I'm asking for help here as I have just brought home my new born son and the house is bloody freezing. There also seems to be a humming noise which I havent been aware of before.. Any ideas????
Thanks guys Jason 'freezing' ward

Please describe what sort of controls it has (timeswitch, roomstat, etc) including model numbers of these and the boiler if they're visible.
--
Andrew Gabriel

jason wrote:

There will be something in or next to the flame of the pilot that senses the light or the heat of the pilot flame. If that sensor isn't working, the main gas valve won't open. So that would be the first thing to look at.
The humming noise could be the sensor trying to operate the valve, but not having enough energy to do so.
--
Sue

jason wrote:

The thermocouple which senses the heat of the pilot light (and switches off the gas supply if it doesn't sense heat) may have eroded and hence is behaving as if the pilot light is off. A new thermocouple doesn't cost much.
Thermocouples often only last about 3 years.
Mike
Please give more details of the boiler and the controls ie valves and timeswitches...Info makes answers come faster
peter