Gas Boiler upgrade

Hi, I've got a firm coming out next week to give me a quote for upgrading my gas central heating boiler. At present my system consists of a Potterton Netaheat boiler (about 15years old) with head tank feeding 11 radiators. Hot water is supplied via the same boiler and conventional hotwater tank. There are two motorised valves (1 for hot water, other for central heating) and a hall mounted thermostat and kitchen mounted controller. The boiler itself is out in the garage. Over the past 5 years I have replaced 7 of the radiators. I intend to get the boiler replaced, controller , 4 remaining old style radiators and also reposition the thermostat. Our system demands are fairly straightforward, we run two power showers (mostly morning use) and two to three baths worth of water in the evening one after the other, usually! Up until now I've carried out all repairs myself with exception of boiler work.

Which sort of boiler would be advised? Any particular makes better than others? Any questions that I should be asking of the firm? Likely ballpark cost?

thanks in anticipation,

David

Reply to
David

Why change it? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Hi Tony, Good question, boiler has seen better days, it's very noisy plus parts are no longer made for it. It has broken down a few times recently and due to it's age (installed by previous occupant probably 15-20years old) I would rather plan to relace it with something which is more efficient and heats the house a bit more effectively. Any suggestions as to which type I should go for?

regards

David

Reply to
David

Point taken if it's noisy, but 15 years old is not old for a boiler, my parents have a Potterton that was put in when I was a teenager and would be at least 30 years old. Spares are still available if you know where to look but the engineers always say they're not because they want to sell you a new 'un.

From my ( very limited) experience, I'd stick with Potterton. My oil burner is a Trianco though and that's 20 years old.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Thanks for the reply Tony, I take your point. I have been getting alarmed at some of the horrendous prices for upgrades I've seen quoted on various forums.........anything up to 4 grand and also the reliability of the condensing boilers doesn't seem too great at present. I'll get the quotes and probably wait until my boiler becomes a scrapper,

regards,

David

Reply to
David

4g's? Ouch. Good luck with whatever course you decide upon! TonyB
Reply to
TonyB

4 grand is not steep it's f*****g vertical.

What about replacing the rest of the rads yourself, you will need thermostic radiator valves if you have not got them and may need other updates to make the new system meet the required building regs and then get a quote for just a boiler replacement.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth