gas boiler pilot light

I have a glow worm fuel saver 25-30 boiler. I go away for a few weeks every summer and turn my gas off . Usually my boiler lights after a few attempts but not this time. The ignition lights the pilot light fine but even after holding the button in for about 3-4 mins the pilot light goes out. The light does not seem to "hit" the thermocouple "head on". it seems a little off centre. Would this be a possible problem? It has always lit in the past. Could I need a new thermocouple or is there a way to get it working better such as cleaning the tip etc ?
tried for ages to light it last night. Worked first time this morning . oh well

tomm wrote:

Thermo couples do get 'tired' it seems. The general purpose ones from screwfix, toolstation et al are only a few quid and well worth having one in stock ready for when it gives trouble.
Bob

The other likely problem (given flame isn't hitting it) is dirt/dust in the pilot jet or barrel assembly (or possibly in a pilot gas filter if the unit has one). If dirt is the case, you should also expect the same with the main burners, and get the thing serviced, cleaned, and checked. If the boiler is not room sealed, you should do this very year anyway.
--
Andrew Gabriel

Do you turn the water off? Do you turn the electric off? Why do you turn the gas off?
Mr Pounder

On 17/09/2010 22:19, Mr Pounder wrote:

When the taps are off, the water stops. When the switches are off, the electrickery is off. When the pilot light is on it's using several hundred watts.
Andy