Gas Blowtorch

I need to solder some 15mm pipes running between floor joists. My Taymar blowtorch (the type that screws onto a gas canister) objects to being used on it's side, which is the only way I can access the joints.

I have a mid size Camping Gaz bottle from a now defunct barbeque, and wonder if I can get a hose connected torch to attach to this bottle (maybe via a regulator). I've googled but only found fairly expensive professional models.

(I'm quite competant at soldering copper pipe, it's just the access problem, and yes, bucket of water and heat insulation sheet are all close at hand. Floor will be tiled over, so don't want to use compression or push fit).

Thanks for any help. David

Reply to
DavidM

Presumably it is blue (butane) rather than red (propane)?Screwfix do a torch kit with fittings for propane.

Reply to
Newshound

Yes it's blue.

Reply to
DavidM

You should find that if you run the torch for at leat 3 minutes in upright position then it will not flare when on its side or pointing down.

Reply to
Chas

It doesn't really you know!

Light it up and let it burn in the upright position for about two minutes. That heats up the burner head so the gas vaporises in the burner and doesn't emerge as a jet. (flame thrower style)

After it's nice and warm you can use it at an angle of dangle of your choice.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

I have one of the MachineMart torches for use with propane (orange/red cylinders), it works brilliantly for pipework without the flame-thrower effect a normal blowtorch produces on it's side.

If you can get a similar torch for butane you should get a good result.

Or, if you go down the propane route, the small 3.9kg (?) size cylinders are only about £10 and seem to last forever.

Reply to
Alan

Be careful, the liquefied gas will often feed through the valve and jet assembly even if it is hot. Once you invert the canister and the liquid level is anywhere near the take of point on the canister you are then drawing off the liquefied petroleum gas and not evaporated gas.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

I just started writing the same reply, when I saw yours. You can tell when it's warmed up when tipping it from the upright position no longer generates a change in the burner sound.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I just use an electric hot air gun with an wrap-around angle jet...but then I usually have electricity available. The wrap-around angle jet makes it really quick (1800W, it should be quick) and protects most of the background from the hot air.

The Maplin polishing block is great for cleaning up the ends of the pipes.

Reply to
Palindrome

|> It doesn't really you know! |>

|> Light it up and let it burn in the upright position for about two minutes. |> That heats up the burner head so the gas vaporises in the burner and |> doesn't emerge as a jet. (flame thrower style) |>

|> After it's nice and warm you can use it at an angle of dangle of your |> choice. |>

|> Julian. |>

|Be careful, the liquefied gas will often feed through the valve and jet |assembly even if it is hot. Once you invert the canister and the liquid |level is anywhere near the take of point on the canister you are then |drawing off the liquefied petroleum gas and not evaporated gas.

**SWOOSH** big flame not nice at all.

Torches run off refillable bottles via a hose work OK. I have a very ancient Camping Gaz torch, not sure if it is still in production.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I have a Taymar blowtorch, about 25 years old. It objects to being used other than upright when first lit. After a few minutes it can be used in any orientation.

Give it a couple of minutes to warm up after lighting. It will then probably work OK.

Reply to
<me9

Nah, once it&#39;s warmed up it will run upside down forever, BTDT for 35 years now with an assortment of cheap blowtorches. (Taymar at the mo) I&#39;ve also got a Propane torch which gets used for bigger jobs, and if I need a lot of heat I have two paraffin blow torches - you really do have to be careful with these, it&#39;s easy to have a scene from &#39;The World at War!&#39; in the shed.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Once warmed up my Taymar did work at enough of an angle to do the job, despite the odd "flame out" (it was a newish cylinder). Not sure I&#39;d want to try it upside down as per one suggestion though!!

Still thinking of upgrading to a hose connected torch though, any recommendations if not Gaz? Not an expensive pro model though, don&#39;t do enough to justify £60+

David

Reply to
DavidM

I was in a similar position when using my blowlamp. In the end I decided safety was the name of the game and so decided to use plastic pipe and fittings. Much easier and a lot less messing about.

Reply to
the_constructor