Garden Wall

I've just started to build a garden/retaining wall using 9 inch concrete blocks. The wall is at the bottom of a steepish slope, which I want to level off.

My question relates to forming a curve in the wall. The garden curves at the one end, and this is what I would like the wall to follow. The curve would have a radius of about 5 or 6 feet. Short of getting curved blocks - which I have never seen - I am at a bit of a loss about how to go about it.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Can you not cut a small wedge out of each corner of the block to make a gradual curve whilst still retaining the same gap between the blocks?

Ash

Reply to
Ash

have a look around this site

its very informative

Reply to
reg

The problem with that method is when you come to put the next course across the joint.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Thanks. It's a very good site, although I can't see anything on there which answers my problem - I'll keep looking through it, though.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

Shouldn't be a problem ? Try it with bits of paper and see what I mean ...

Ash

Reply to
Ash

What is the exacted size of the blocks 9" x ? x ? . When laying blocks round a radius the blocks are cut in half and layed as headers. 18" x

9" cut in half =3D 2 x 9" x 9". Lay with a tight vertical joint with a wider joint at the rear.

By the way, how did your friend in Birmingham finish up with his re reroof. You never did let me know.

Regards Keith

Reply to
Kipper at sea

What is the exacted size of the blocks 9" x ? x ? . When laying blocks round a radius the blocks are cut in half and layed as headers. 18" x

9" cut in half = 2 x 9" x 9". Lay with a tight vertical joint with a wider joint at the rear.

By the way, how did your friend in Birmingham finish up with his re reroof. You never did let me know.

Regards Keith

Thanks Keith. The blocks are 18" x 9" x 9" (9" hollows, I think they call them). I could get 18" x 9" solids for the radius, and try your suggestion - which looks interesting (I'll check it out further - thanks again).

My friend's roof is sorted. I thought I had updated you on that - apologies if I didn't. Yes, he had to get it reroofed. If you recall, I asked your advice on the felt/membrane that you thought was the best. I passed on your suggestion, and that's what he used (can't remember what it was called - but it was expensive!). Anyway, it cost him around another ten thousand for the job (having paid almost that amount for the first reroof), but he's quite happy about it all because the condensation problem is completely cured. A bit of a financial headache for him, but all's well that ends well.

Thanks for your help on that, and all the very best to you.

Giles

Reply to
Farmer Giles