Garden Vacs

I'm considering buying a garden vac to clean up the leaves that fall into my garden from neighbours' trees. I have a 'low maintenance' garden with lots of gravel and crushed slate beds. I'm a bit concerned that the suction on a garden vac may be sufficiently strong to suck up this gravel and slate and then damage the shredding mechanism.
Any users of garden vacs out there like to advise me?
Uno-Hoo!

It can be a real problem, what I do is not shove the vac right onto the gravel, this seems to work OK with very little or none entering the vac.

Thanks for that Brian. I note that there is a wide variation of 'power' in the vacs on sale. What power is yours?
Uno-Hoo!

into
with
gravel
in
Use the 'blow' then suck from a non gravel area.

Good point!!
Uno-Hoo!

1800w

OK - thanks. I'll stick to around that level rather than get a more powerful one. Thanks again for your advice.
Uno-Hoo!