Garden Fence

Hi

My garden fence has suffered in the recent winds and a couple of panels are down. The posts have loosened too. I would appreciate some tips on replacing them, I will probably be working on my own. I will get some of those spike things to put the new posts in, and will replace the old panels with new -

5 posts and 4 panels is the plan. My question is - how do I know that the spikes will be hammered in VERTICALLY, and also, am I likely to be able to handle the panels on my own (6ftx6ft)?

Thanks

Charlie Brown Ipswich

Reply to
Charlie Brown

I prefer concrete. But I suggest that you keep checking with a post and a post level as you hammer them in. Once in, use the leverage of the post to make any final adjustment, then hammer the ground down around the spike to keep it from re-adjusting.

I can handle that size panels so I would imagine you could - but don't do it in a Force 10. An electric screwdriver helps as does levelling off some bricks, whatever, to rest the panel on while you fix it.

Have fun! But I doubt it...

Sue

Reply to
Palindr☻me

You need a spirit level to get vertical alignment. Regarding handling panels on your own, if you mean the basic waney edge stuff (horizontal strips) you should be OK assuming average strength and fitness, but if you mean closeboard panels (vertical strips) then this would be a two-person job for

6x6 panels. If the panels are too tight a fit you can plane some off the ends, if too slack then insert a wooden spacer.
Reply to
Phil Anthropist

hi charlie,

this is a common issue in fences that are worn out due to wind or age.

I had similar problem; and I got my fence replaced by a steel fence from Blue Scope Steel.

However; if you prefer to DIY; here are some free DIY plans specifically to build fences:

Hope this helps.

Jasmine.

Reply to
yaliane

Thanks for the help. Looks like a wonderful Bank Holiday weekend looming.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Brown

You can do it on your own, it will take a bit longer. My mum put up 12 6ft sq fence panels on her own and she's 60! :-)

Reply to
Vodkajelly

Did you let her back in for Xmas's and Birthdays?

Reply to
The New Boy

Just Bank Holiday Mondays at the mo.

Reply to
Vodkajelly

It's not easy because they tend to drift as you punch them in. Keep checking with a spirit level as you go. If you use concrete then you'll have no problem. But this is more of a pain, more expensive, and not really necessary.

But if you end up with them slightly out you can chamfer a bit off the side of the bottom where the post goes into the spike to allow the post to stand upright and then punch a thin wedge into the space the other side. But it is only problem when the post is out of vertical and makes the fence lean. If it's out of vertical in the line of the fence you can usually expect the fence panels to correct it.

No problem

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

I built my fence using godfather posts, 4' concrete posts. 2' generously concreted in the ground and 2' above. I then bolted wooden posts to it raised off the ground. It's been up seven years now without damage. As the posts are out of the ground there's no danger of rot.

A little bit more trouble than sticking wooden posts in the ground, not much more expense as the posts and bolts are fairly cheap. The posts were from Wickes (concrete repair posts?) for about £6 each and the bolts from screwfix about £5 for 50.

The only problem I have is what to do with 20 odd chromed 7" bolts!

Mike

Reply to
Mike