Garage roof deck?

I'm looking for advice regarding my intention to build/have built a deck on the flat roof of my single car garage. The garage is at the side of my house and access to the deck would be round the rear corner via a new balcony and french windows to our upper floor bedroom.
The garage walls are single brick with supporting pillars. The base is concrete and the roof is tarred felt.
Obviously once the deck is laid I will have no access to refelt.
Anyone got experience on doing this?
Beemer
"Beemer" wrote:

No personal experience, but apart from access for cleaning and future repairs, presumably the flat roof is at a slight angle to allow water run-off therefore the decking will need to be fixed so that the water run-off isn't obstructed. You may wish to correct the slight angle (unless you don't mind the decking not being true/horizontal), and you will need to ensure that the method of fixing the decking to the roof doesn't damage the felt and result in water leaks. If water tends to pool anywhere then that will rot the decking eventually and encourage moss growth. Planning permission/building regs may apply. Sounds like quite a challenge. Good luck!
| "Beemer" wrote: | > I'm looking for advice regarding my intention to build/have built a deck | > on | > the flat roof of my single car garage. The garage is at the side of my | > house and access to the deck would be round the rear corner via a new | > balcony and french windows to our upper floor bedroom. | > | > The garage walls are single brick with supporting pillars. The base is | > concrete and the roof is tarred felt. | > | > Obviously once the deck is laid I will have no access to refelt. | > | > Anyone got experience on doing this? | > | > Beemer | | No personal experience, but apart from access for cleaning and future | repairs, presumably the flat roof is at a slight angle to allow water | run-off therefore the decking will need to be fixed so that the water | run-off isn't obstructed. You may wish to correct the slight angle (unless | you don't mind the decking not being true/horizontal), and you will need to | ensure that the method of fixing the decking to the roof doesn't damage the | felt and result in water leaks. If water tends to pool anywhere then that | will rot the decking eventually and encourage moss growth. Planning | permission/building regs may apply. Sounds like quite a challenge. Good | luck! | | Phil,
Roof already has internal guttering to drain. I doubt that moss would grow with only the light between the board spaces reaching the roof. My real concern is not being able to find any website where I can get advice on whether the single brick wall is adequate and advice on whether I might have a planning problem.
Beemer

deck
my
is
(unless
that
grow
have
Did something similar on new flat roof extension whilst refurbing a semi. Required safety rails all around edge and decking base was not fixed to roof but laid on 4x2 treated - these laid in same direction as water runoff. Still in use some 4 years later not been told of any problems. No problems with BCO
PhilC
"Beemer" wrote:

Regarding whether the foundations, walls and existing roof are strong enough to support the additional weight of the decking, furniture and people, I don't know of any websites where architects or structural engineers are willing to advise; they would probably want to inspect the site and/or look at detailed plans as they would be liable if they advised in their professional capacity. Anyway, they would want paying!
Regarding planning and building regs, there is general advice at http://www.diydata.com/planning/planregperm/planning_rules.htm but you really need to ask your local council, as what you propose is out of the ordinary. My guess is that the BCO would want to be assured that the structure is structurally safe.

We were recently granted planning permission for a flat roofed single storey extension but a condition was made that we must not use the flat roof as any form of terrace so checking with your local Planning Dept is recommended but be careful how you do it. I made an informal enquiry regarding an earlier project and the Council were very negative, throwing up all sorts of objections. I got the builder to ask the same questions and he was told the should be no problem so I get the impression that my local Council are not keen on amateurs.
Phian