garage door security

those of you that have a garage door, what extra security do you have ?

ive just had one fitted (garador) after an extension build, i looked at the defender lock

but in front of my garage door i have a surface mounted soakaway drain with a grill, so the defender isnt an option.anything else out there ?

Reply to
reg

I thought about extra physical security, but fitted a magnetic switch and incorporated it into the house burglar alarm instead. I tried to make it as sensitive as possible by fitting it to where most leverage was likely to be applied if someone tried to force the door.

Reply to
Harry Stottle

does it depend on what sort of burgling you are expecting ? I added a highly visible padlock and bolt in to the side frame after some scrote nicked my bike by flipping open the poorly fitting door. This seems to have stopped the opportunist thief (so far). If you feel the need to deter more professional types, then I guess some large serious lock and warning of link to some security system. I think that if a potential burglar sees that you've fitted some security they might assume that you also think about what's inside the garage - maybe anything is also locked away or chained down within - like the "no tools left inside overnight" on commercial vans. hth Neil

Reply to
Neil

I am assumimg you have an up N over door and alternative access from inside, in which case just fit two heavy duty slide bolts from the top door frame to overlap inside the door. Just lower them in position and then the open N over door will not open. You don't even need to lock the built in door lock. Alternatively some U-shaped brackets either side at the top of the frame and drop across a scaffold pole or large lump of timber. Don't bother with pop riveted slide bolts outside with padlocks, mine were just levered off!

Reply to
MudMuppet