garage conversion

We have an 11 x 14 single skinned garage which we would like to convert to a studio/bedsit. It is seperate from the house but has electricity running to it.

We are going to insulate the walls and ceiling but would like some ideas on how to heat it as economically as possible.

Any suggestions would be grateful.

Cheers Loraine

Reply to
Loraine Fox

What like? Solar panels on the roof? Geothermal power from holes in the garden linked up to a heat pump? Turning one end into a stable and keeping a few cows in it?

All of the above have been used to great effect and can be extremely economical, long term.

If you want something less capital intensive (and less good for the rhubarb) - big b&q stores stock kerosene powered heaters of various types - including ones with very sophisticated controls to avoid gasing yourself or it producing fumes or soot. They are pretty cheap to run. Portable gas heaters, with the big cylinders inside are possibly next.

Others may mention that you have a duty to get approval for such things from your local buildings officer and planning dept. If you don't then you could be required to put it back the way it was. Neighbours you have known for years can be remarkably sneaky about reporting such things, so you may want to put in a side door (if there isn't one) but leave the garage door, backed by lots of insulation - so it still *looks* like a garage and they won't know any different..

Reply to
Palindr☻me