Garage Conversion

geoff

geoff wrote:

Ah, if so scratch the part P nonsense. Still do the extra fire proofing though!
--
Cheers,

John.

something like:

The OP? I don't see any sign of it.

Sounds crazy to me, most people do the reverse to gain extra space for their familes not less. Apart from anything else you will devalue the house let alone the practicality issues of which there are numerous. If you insist on going ahead I would recommend that you contact a local architectural designer. Many offer free advisory visits and will give you an honest opinion of the implications and pitfalls of such a strange proposal.

information on the practicalities of it.
The situation I am in means I do not need space in the house, but I do need a decent working area, my ideal dwelling would be a studio flat with a double garage, and you don't get too many of those coming onto the market!
The house which I am considering is at the right price, I would pay probably 50% more for a house with a garage, so devaluing the place is not an issue, I will still be quids in compared to buying somewhere with a garage. Even places which I looked at with room for a garage are far more that the house I am looking at.

Rent a lock-up or small industrial unit? They will be cheap soon.

So does it actually need to be a garage with vehicular access? If not, why not just designate a room as a work-room?
--
Cheers,
Roger

True - but there are many "decent working areas" (your term) which are not garages - hence my question. Garages are used for all sorts of things other than storing vehicles, but have to comply with stringent fire regs etc. because they *could* hold vehicles. If you don't need to (and you haven't explicitly said that you *do*) make it so that you *can't*, and you won't then have to comply with these particular regs.
--
Cheers,
Roger