garage conversion

I am converting a integral garage into another bedroom, I will need to put a new doorway into the garage. The problem is the I will need to raise the floor by around 33cm. I am also putting a stud partition in to keep some storage and the water boiler separate, I want to do this first. Is laying joists the best option? The floor is concrete at present I assume some sort of insulation will be required to satisfy building regs? If anyone as tackled something similar I will be interested in any problems encountered or tips.
snipped-for-privacy@staffok.plus.com wrote:

If you go to your Local Authority's website (for Building Control) you might very well find a guidance note, to point you in the right direction.

Doing something similar, you need planning permission first. If the outside wall to the garage is single brick it needs to be made cavity. I am going one step father and putting the bedroom on the top. Hope this helps. Joe
Joe wrote:

Thanks Joe Already checked with planning, needed to provide a extra parking space by extending drive, covenent states 2 parking spaces and the garage was one. Outside wall is two skin. Still need to insulate but that is no problem as I need to hide some pipes on the interior wall.
Bypass wrote:

Cheers bypass, nothing on local but picked up a few pointers from other authority websites.
snipped-for-privacy@staffok.plus.com wrote:

I've just detailed a garage for conversion to living accommodation, for building regulations approval. I've no idea whether it's anything like what you're doing, but if you want to see an example, pm your email address and I'll post you a pdf.
--
To reply snipped-for-privacy@linetwo.net
Two should be one