For all you gas DIY people .......

Page 1 of 2

http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk/renfrewshire-news/local-news-in-renfrewshire/2009/04/20/x2018-how-this-couple-survived-we-just-don-x2019-t-know-x2019-87085-23420333 /
Jim.GM4DHJ ...... wrote:

http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk/renfrewshire-news/local-news-in-renfrewshire/2009/04/20/x2018-how-this-couple-survived-we-just-don-x2019-t-know-x2019-87085-23420333 /
I see nothing in there indicating that DIY was the cause.
Andy

yes, you have got me there ......

http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk/renfrewshire-news/local-news-in-renfrewshire/2009/04/20/x2018-how-this-couple-survived-we-just-don-x2019-t-know-x2019-87085-23420333 /
Picture here: http://news.stv.tv/home/89180-two-injured-in-renfrewshire-house-blast /
Like Andy said, no indication it was DIY.
--
Andrew Gabriel

none at all .......

I'm sure we all wish for a speedy recovery for those injured and pray that there is adequate and appropriate insurance cover to repair the material damage.
Ash

http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk/renfrewshire-news/local-news-in-renfrewshire/2009/04/20/gas-explosion-blows-house-to-bits-87085-23420330 /
message

Safe or DIY Safe person.
What amazes me with these gas house explosions is that most people seem to walk away from them relatively unscathed, and the house is a total wreck.
Harry Stottle wrote:

that one was...if it had been timber frame there might have been less damage .....

windows don't even blow out these days .......

People are also pretty uncompressible. Ear drum damage is usually the limit of damage from the pressure wave from a gas explosion. (Of course the heat can cause burns too, as in this case unfortunately, and flying debris and building collapse can cause injuries too, although fortunately not in this case.) A small pressure wave exerts a large total force over a sealed surface such as a wall or floor, which is why they are less likely to survive.
Must have been quite a leak to build up to an explosive mixture. What you get out of a single gas burner generally can't get close if you assume anything near the norm of 2 air changes per hour.
--
Andrew Gabriel

When my son has a party at his house the people walk away unscathed but the house is wrecked ... weird coincidence eh?

think somebody is in trouble ......
http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk/renfrewshire-news/local-news-in-renfrewshire/2009/04/21/bulldozers-move-in-on-blast-homes-87085-23429007 /

wife was in the living room...and the floor above the living room fell to a couple of feet above the ground floor...........

http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk/renfrewshire-news/local-news-in-renfrewshire/2009/04/21/bulldozers-move-in-on-blast-homes-87085-23429007 /
Weird, too, that they hadn't (presumably) smelt the gas - surely there must have been an enormous amount accumulated to cause that much damage?
--
Martin

he didn't smell gas ...but your senses fade as you get older! .....

Tell me about it...!! :-((((

I would say so .......