Foaming taps

Simple question: What makes washbasin taps produce soft foamy water?

I'm about to replace the taps on a washbasin and want the "foamy" effect. My local bathroom showroom thought it was down to either water ppressure or a "diffuser" in the tap, but I can't find anything in sales literature for taps which refers to this as a feature.

Is it purely down to the pressure of the water?

Reply to
peter

it's the difuser, i fitted a swivel tap end to the kitchen sink tap in my motorhome, which gets it's water from a 30psi pump, worked just as well with the old 16psi pump when i had a different water heater that couldent take more than 18psi of pressure, the swivel thingy has a colar on the outside, pull it down for a shower head type jet spray, handy for rinsing dishes, push it up for a very aerated and foamy erm..spray? handy for washing you hands,

I think the foamy bit is produced by shoving the water through a fine mesh screen, but most taps nowadays seem to have a wide segmented plastic end, i know in my parents house they have them, and even they get blocked up with limescale and crap in the water pipes all the time, so the fine mesh foamy heads would be hell in a hard water area.

Reply to
Gazz

The tap and sink maker Franke do them - think it's called a perlator giving champagne flow :-)

Reply to
Oddjob