Fly Spray

Can anyone recommend a domestic flyspray that actually works instead of just making the flies happy for a while? Whatever happened to the good old-fashioned 'knock down' flysprays.

I had a fly which lived for five days in my house after repeated point-blank spraying. I only got rid of it eventually with a well aimed hit with a copy of TV Times. When in Turkey many years ago, it was possible to obtain the old fashioned 'knock down' sprays (after much language difficulty). These would knock down any insect in about 5 seconds. I guess it's all down to EU regulations regarding cruelty to insects. When I was working as a chemist, I used to spray them with acetone - not to be recommended these days.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

If you look around, yoou can get a good old fahioned fly swat. One whack from one of these is pretty final! It is also chemical free, so no health worries. The operating cost is less too.

In some places you can get the electric zappers like they have in butchers and so forth.

John

Reply to
John

Fly swatter is good - I inherited one when I moved into my house. I think the holes in the "blade" stop the air pressure in front knocking the fly out of the way, which seems to be the problem with anything else. Very effective, but not when they are pretty lively. Also, I suppose it could make a wasp angry unless you can get one good shot ...

Last resort, I find Johnson's Raid spray works pretty well. Knocks them down and then you can swat them - put them out of their misery, really, 'cos they wriggle and struggle around on the ground horribly.

Barb