Fly Killer

Page 1 of 2

How do you kill flies in the kitchen?
I've tried those stick-on Vapona sunflower things for the windows and I don't reckon they are effective.
Anyone got any tips?
Jim
Try
http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/f/fly-catchers.asp

Jim wrote:

I am reminded of a scam that was run in Canada several decades ago:-
Advert place in newspaper for a fly killer that was guaranteed to work every time.
Purchasers received two blocks of wood marked "A" and "B". The instructions read "Place fly on block A and strike sharply with block B". :-)
I understand that the seller became rich.
--
Howard Neil

Jim wrote:

The ultra violet attract and high voltage kill types are effective and satisfying to the macabre types amongst us. I have used the more industrial types in the past but now there are domestic versions for a tenner or so on ebay but I've not tried these.
Bob
"Jim" asked:

I bought a plastic fly swatter from Netto's for 1 several years ago and it never fails.

I have an ancient plastic swatter, too, and it works great. The main thing is, I think, that it has a mesh-type spatula head, so the swish doesn't actually push the insect away when you swing at it, whereas a folded newspaper, etc. does. Very effective.
Barb

These are better
http://www.eurocosm.com/Application/Products/Electro-swat/electro-swat-GB.asp
Adam

And for the really big Blue Bottles....
http://www.wholesalemidwest.com/electric_prods.htm
snipped-for-privacy@ED.karoo.co.uk says...

.
LOL
snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk says...

Jeez, what an imprint that would leave on someone's arse.

Jeez, what an imprint that would leave on someone's arse.
It bites. We did mess around at work the day I got one.
Adam

You might try to avoid attracting them there in the first place.

I have a number of carnivorous plants (insect eating). Rarely see any flies, unless I look into the plants, where you can see the trapped ones.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Brilliant. I'm going to go and buy some carnivorous plants.
It's at times like this I think, 'why didn't I think of that'.
Thanks.
Jim

Just remember to stop using fly spray in the house ... if you spray a fly and it manages to limp off and land on your plant later it'll kill the plant.
Ash
Another tip for looking after the plant(s) is to not use water straight from the tap as the water is too 'rich' for the plants .. they like nice boggy stagnant water. Collect some rain water and leave it outside to 'go off' (some dead leaves in the water help) and use this water to water the plant(s)
Ash

Hard water and chlorination treatments present in tap water will kill most of the carnivorous plants. Rain water is preferred (doesn't need to stand around). Can also use a brita filter jug or condensate from a refigerent/compressor based dehumidifier occasionally, but try to use rain water mostly.
Carnivorous plants expect to be growing in poor soil where most/all of the nutrients have been washed away by excessive water (which is why they obtain their nutrients from insects instead). Some actually cannot obtain nutrients from the soil (no nitrogen fixing capability). Mine all seem to love being satuarated with water (unlike most house plants), so I stand their pots in containers filled to about halfway up the side of the pot with rain water. Never use any fertiliser.
Some of the pitcher type (funnels to collect insects) do require their pitchers to collect some rainwater, so I put these outdoors occasionally during heavy rain (you could try pouring in rainwater, but make sure it's clean). Other types of pitchers have protective covers over them to prevent rain water entry, as they secrete all the fluid required into the pitchers and don't want it diluted. In addition to the water, the plant adds wetting agents and sometimes toxins to aid drowning the insects, as well as digestive enzymes and acids necessary to release the nutrients. These may not be suitable for use where children might play with them, although watching flys get attracted, feed on the sugar secretions laced with narcotics or other toxins (depending on the plant), lose their footing on the waxy surface (designed to clog up their feet) and eventually fall in can be quite interesting for them.
The other type I have are Sundews, which work literally like flypapers. The leaves are covered in hairs, each one with a globule of glue on the end which the insect gets stuck to when it lands on the plant, so place it somewhere where an insect is likely to go (light window). When the plant detects an insect struggling, for a large insect, it will wrap the leaf around it, pressing the leaf surface against the insect, from which it secretes digestive enzymes. For tiny insects, the hairs bend over and press the insect against the leaf body for a few days, and the leaf is still receptive to trapping more insects.
When I first got them, I didn't see any flys around and I was worried they might not be getting any nutrients indoors, so I put them outside sometimes (flying-ant day is ideal, and also stood them on a wheelie bin which had been in the sun for a couple of weeks and was attracting flys). However, I then realised that they were actually catching some insects indoors, whch is why I wasn't seeing insects indoors! I still put them out for a good feed occasionally, as I doubt they get enough indoors alone.
BTW, the most popular type, Venus fly traps, I found to be completely useless.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Excellent guide Andrew ... you don't happen to know where I can get one of those nice little plants in the film 'The Little Shop of Horrors' do you? My wife loves plants :o)

Oh ... you're missing out on a cult movie then ... originally made in 1960 and then remade in 1986 as a rock musical about a hapless florist shop worker who raises a plant that feeds on human blood ... didn't see any flies in the movie too !
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091419/

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGRN39oifsE

Adam

Dat's the one ... where do I buy one from ?