Fluorescent Tubes

I have a twin fluorescent tube light fitting in the kitchen. One of the tubes has stopped working and the other has started to flicker. I thought I would replace both and also the starter(s).
In my previous experience of these fittings, there has always been an opening somewhere on the side into which you insert and twist the starter. However on this one there is no such thing.
In view of my very limited understanding of electrics I was wondering where the starter(s) would be. In other words would I need to dismantle the main body or are they located in the end pieces?
I would be very grateful for any help.
Regards, Swan

It might not have a starter switch. It could be a quick start that doesn't use them.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames

Also, many fittings aimed at domestic use don't have the starter so easily accessible, as it doesn't normally die in domestic use (what really kills them is being left trying to start a dead tube for weeks on end, as is more likely in commercial premises). You might have to take the cover off.
How long and what power rating are the tubes? How old is the fitting? When it was working, did the tubes flash a few times when switched on before staying on?
--
Andrew Gabriel
In older fittings particularly the Thorn ones the starters are inside the casing so you have to switch off the light first, or pull the fuse to be safe, then remove the tube either by twisting through 90 or pushing it gently towards one end and releasing the contact pins at one end first. You should then see either two plastic rotary knobs or two metal screw heads, these hold the cover on. Plastic knobs will need rotating 45-90 to release the cover, screws will need rotating anticlockwise to do the same.

Thanks very much for your help. I removed the cover but there were no starters inside. I noticed that the make was Thorn. It would seem that I have no alternative but to replace the unit.
Regards, Swan
On 29 Jan 2009 14:36:44 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

it was installed but I would guess quite a long time.

power. Both tubes were blackening at one end.
Thanks for your reply.
Regards, Swan

The 58W tubes won't work with some types of 65W starter-less control gear.

Tubes do that as they die.

Is there a part number on the control gear? Thorn did a number of types of quite sophisticated (and hence expensive) starter-less control gear. Actually, they invented two types of fluorescent control gear.
--
Andrew Gabriel