floorboards nail or screws

Hi

I need to replace a few tongue & groove floorboard that have been damaged over the years. i have new boards which appear not to be as thick as the old boards by the thickness of hardboard, (thinking of using this to make packing pieces on the joists.

do you think this is ok and if yes should i screw or nail the new boards down?

Mark

Reply to
Mark D Smith

Screw

--=20 =AE=D6=D0

Reply to
Rod

Mark, Given that you will be using hardboard packing pieces (nothing wrong with that), I would recommend screwing down the boards - less chance of 'squeaking' after say carpet fitted. Tack packing pieces to joists (tacks or panel pins ok), ensure no cables or pipes are going to be pierced (obviously important). Pre drill screw holes in new floor boards after marking up joist locations / cables or pipe locations - offer boards onto joists, pilot drill through hardboard, and use two screws per board at each joist, and be carefull of overtightening and splitting at each end of boards - have fun. Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Sharrocks

I had a similar problem, I couldn't get it level by packing the joist with anything. In the end I screwed 4 screws (with big heads) along the joist (and only the joist), then put the floor board on top and kept lifting the board and adjusting the screws until the floor was level.. Then just screwed put 2 screws through the board and into the joist.

probably isn't the best way to do it, but I only had 1 small board to replace..

Reply to
Harris