Floor Tiling

I want to tile a kitchen floor with ceramic floor tiles. Is it OK to lay them on top of the existing (sound) vinyl tiles, or is it best to get them removed, and lay the ceramic ones onto the concrete?

Numpty

Reply to
Numpty

to get them

Vinyl tiles will make a good base.

Scrub them up and apply a sealer (PVA).

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for that !!!!! Glad i dont have to faff about removing the existing tiles ;-)

Numpty

Reply to
Numpty

Wish I'd read this before taking up the vinyl tiles in my kitchen & dining room :(

Reply to
Andrea Collins

DONT scrub them too hard if they're old ones, they may contain asbestos. Albeit very well bonded into the vinyl but I wouldn't recommend breaking them up or sanding them.

Al

Reply to
Al

If I were you I would use a latex mix with the adhesive because vinyl expands and contracts. You can add the mix I believe or buy the appropriate adhesive. They will tell you better at the tile place. Also with the grout, you may need an additive to allow for some movement here to. Just my thoughts.

Reply to
Smokinbilly