Floor tiles

Having sorted out a leaking washing machine I have a rather damp laminate floor that I didn't like much anyway, and isn't really appropriate in a utility room and kitchen. I've never done floor tiles before. All general comments, recommendations, hits, observations, esp. about what sort of tiles to get, or to avoid, would be very welcome. I'm looking here at the cheaper end of the market - is there a quality level I would best not go below?

Keith

Reply to
Keith Dunbar

I don't know if it will help you, but I have just completed my kitchen floor having never done it before with just the advice that the guy in the tile shop gave me. Its a lot easier than you would think. As long as you already have a flat surface to work on

1) take the shops advice on type of tile by telling him what you are going to use it for, ie stain resistant

2) do buy one of those adhesive applying tools so that you get the right thickness of adhesive

3) do buy the spacers to get a good even gap between the tiles 4) do use some decent knee pads as you will be on your knees quite a while 5) I made sure that the tiles ran parallel to the main entrance to the room (this looked best and also meant that most of the cut tiles were hidden under appliances) 6) find the centre of the room and work out from there 7) I would recommend doing all your full tiles on the first day, letting them set over night and then fitting all your cut tiles the next day, this way you can stand on the full tiles without them moving around, then on the third day you can grout 8) rent a decent tile cutter, it will really speed things up
Reply to
adrian beer