flexible tap conectors

Hi

I have flexible tap conectors, one end (obviously) screws to the taps, the other end has a nut on the end, with an integral soft plastic type washer.

If i remove the nut and olive from the compression servicing/isolating valves, which I shall be fitting, can I connect them to those?

Or am I overlooking something?

If 'yes' then i understand I just screw them both together, without any PTFE tape etc - the washer would be enough? How many turns with the spanner when connecting taps to tap fittings roughly, I know compression fittings are 1/2 to 1 turn.

Thanks!

black cat

Reply to
black cat

Yes you may be. You need a decent flat surface for the washer to bed against when you tighten the joint.

If you are lucky, this may be just the work of a few strokes of a decent file, or touch on a grindstone. BUT the surface must be level and smooth to be a tight fit and not cut the washer.

As to tightening, hand tight plus half a turn, or you feel it tightening up. Better to under tighten as it can be tightened a bit more if it leaks.

Reply to
EricP

Thanks for the reply, so is there a proper fitting?

:)

black cat

Reply to
black cat

Like a female (?) tap connector, as, you know, the regular ones have nuts on them, not thread.

Reply to
black cat

Yes, you get a small connector with a brass thread on one end and either a soldered connector or compression one on the other. You can get push-fit but it depends on the thread of the tap tail. There are some strange ones going around and not all plumbers merchants stock matches.

I hawked a tap tail around for a week before a chap in the plumbcentre nodded and came back with the correct bit.

Reply to
EricP

Just thought I would share this with you all. Under my sink in the kitchen, I connected the nut end of the tap connector flexible pipe to a 15mm straight coupler and it has been fine for 6 months. No leaks at all.

Reply to
the_constructor

That's good, knowing my luck i'd chew up the washer :(

Anyway, after trawling 2 DIY stores, and looking at some online merchants I was begining to think I was never going to find them - but I finally found the actual connector - at a plumber's merchants - of all places! I mean, who'd of thought... ;)

So thanks EricP for letting me know they do exist, and for your help!

black cat

Reply to
black cat

Why not just use a Flexible Tap Connector with a built in Isolating Valve?

8th in the list..
Reply to
Harris