Flat roofs

My son is looking at a starter home, semi- with a flat roof. It is under-priced compared with a similar with pitched roof. I don't like flat roofs on houses for reasons of maintenance but there is a trade-off point when a cheaper house is worth extra future maintenance
Currently the roof is OK having been re-roofed 5 years ago and has a further 10 years guarantee.
Any ideas of costs of re-roofing, a normal 2-storey, 1960's semi?
Opinions?
colin

different in area, the answer is "How long is a piece of string". You will also be asked what type of roof build up do you want in terms of layers and finish. And don't forget its not only a new roof but the old one as to come off. From a contact I have in flat roofing, a 1m2 area ,on average would be about 30 m2 including drips and flashing but not including any timber remedial work or scaffolding required
Keith.
keith_765 wrote:

For my 30s sem I'd need a roof about 8m x 6.5m so that would cost over 1500. A pitched roof would last about 3 tiomes as long as a good flat roof. Pitched roofs with a membrane (felt in the good old days) is also better as even if a tile breaks the membrane will keep out the water.
My pitched slate roof with no underfelt was 70 years old and still watertight. I only had it replaced as I was having an extension with a pitched roof.
The empty space is useful storage and helps keep the hse cool in the summer. Pitched roofs also are more aetheticaly pleasing, the property is worth more and easier to sell in the future.
You may be able to replce the flat roof with a pitched one when it comes tome to replcae it. I have seen quite a few people do this for aethetic & to add value.
Mike
Thanks Mike.
This is a semi, but might get neighbour to cooperate should it need work.
cojack

cojack wrote:

Not a lot of point in you re-roofing if the other semi leaks as the water will creep/soak through to your side anyway.
Mike
Thanks Keith, just wanted a ball-park figure
cojack